Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 18 mth old losing interest?

Default 18 mth old losing interest?

My lo is 18 mths now and she seems to be much less interested in nursing. She is now nursing 5 times per day but I offer about half the times and the length has gotten much shorter. She was nursing 10-15 min and now its 5-8 min. She also seems frustrated sometimes, patting my breast and popping off. I do hear swallowing though and I have always had a huge supply. I was really hoping to make it till age 2 since she has dairy allergy but I don't want to make her. She is also pigging out on solids the last month. She gets a spoon and goes to the fridge and begs or signs for food all day long. And no, I am not pregnant.

Is this the normal course of weaning or am I doing something wrong here? Should I pump to get the supply back up?

It just seems like she is a bit young to be weaning but I wasn't sure and I don't know anyone who has nursed this long.

Thanks!
    Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: 18 mth old losing interest?

Please, does anyone have some advice??
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Honestly it sounds like she's just busy with being a toddler. I can't imagine youre doing anything 'wrong', per se. Because listening to her needs it everything but wrong. COntinue to follow her cue/s

This resource might offer you something more useful
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

IMHO normal weaning is not a sudden thing and happens really slowly over the course of months. DS gradually nursed less starting from 14 months and is prob in the process of fully weaning now at 26 months. Also, BFing beyond one is different from BFing a younger infant because toddlers go through so many phases and so much development. There were so many times I thought DS was weaning, like when he went down to once or twice a week and then suddenly he was back to nursing two or three times a day. It depends on what else they're working on - teeth, speech, independence, other skills... I wouldn't worry about your supply. She just sounds busy at the moment! Have you read 'How Weaning Happens'? It really helped reassure me that weaning is a long, slow process, and helped me stop panicking at every dip in demand.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

sounds normal to me.. we went through a period like this (not very long ago)... and now ( 17 m) she asks all the time to nurse.... I try to keep her nursing at 4-5 times per day.... and they are really short... maybe 3-5 min tops. Just watch in another few weeks she will be addcited to it then lose interest again.. etc.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks, I just get worried since she needs the milk from me due to cow's milk allergy. I just want her to keep nursing till at least 2 so she can get the proper nutrition but I know I can't make her and she is seeming much less interested now.