Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going Back To Work- What to do?

Default Going Back To Work- What to do?

I am going back to work in 3 weeks. My job is such that I can't really have baby brought to me for a feeding. I was thinking i could pump in the bathroom if i packed in my breast pump, but what can i do to store the milk. I work 12's and don't have a way to keep it from spoiling. Could i put in a thermos and have it last 6 hours or so?
    Got Baby?

Default Re: Going Back To Work- What to do?

You can pack it in BM storage bags or bottles in a cooler with a couple of ice packs - it should be fine that way. Good luck!

If you get a cooler or insulated lunch bag your milk should be fine. It will last 8 hours at room temperature, so if you have it in a semi-cooled container it will be fine for 12 hours.

If you live in the US, most states have laws requiring workplaces to provide a place other than a bathroom for you to pump. Some women prefer to pump in their cars using lighter adaptors to run the pump and blankets and sun screens in the windows.

Here's a handy list of links from Kellymom about working and pumping.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Most times when i can't get a refrigerator, freezer packs in a cooler work for my BM. Also - it can sit at room temp. for 8-10 hours, so if you can keep it slightly cooler while you are at work, and then store it when you get home, you should be golden. If you don't have access to water, I use baby wipes to clean out my pump bottles - i used to use the expensive cleaner wipes, but that is the problem, it got to be way to much $$$. Good luck! Good for you for pumping and giving your baby the best for them!

I'll be honest, there were times when I wanted to give up, because i thought it was inconvenient at times. If you ever feel this way, just think of your sweet LO, and how they love your BM!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

The MedelaPump In Style Advanced (at least the backpack version) comes with the best insulated bag and an icepack which fits the bottles perfectly. Love it. I travelled transatlantically with this thing.

proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.