Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling guilty about quality of breastmilk?

Default Feeling guilty about quality of breastmilk?

As a new mom, I'm constantly worried about everything in regards to my daughter...and this often leads to feelings of guilt. I feel guilty that I can't afford to eat organic and my diet isn't really what it should be while I'm breastfeeding. Does anyone else feel bad that they eat less than perfect and are worried about how this might affect their child? Or someone please tell me that no matter what "breast is best" and I'm just over reacting!!!!

Default Re: Feeling guilty about quality of breastmilk?

No matter what, breast is beast and you're just over-reacting!

There is always gonna be something we could do better...or differently, at any rate. You are giving your baby the very best nutrition in the world, no matter what you eat for dinner.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*designermom View Post
    someone please tell me that no matter what "breast is best" and I'm just over reacting!!!!
    This should make you feel better mama.

1. A breastfeeding mother has to be obsessive about what she eats. Not true! A breastfeeding mother should try to eat a balanced diet, but neither needs to eat any special foods nor avoid certain foods. A breastfeeding mother does not need to drink milk in order to make milk. A breastfeeding mother does not need to avoid spicy foods, garlic, cabbage or alcohol. A breastfeeding mother should eat a normal healthful diet. Although there are situations when something the mother eats may affect the baby, this is unusual. Most commonly, "colic", "gassiness" and crying can be improved by changing breastfeeding techniques, rather than changing the mother's diet. (Handout Colic in the Breastfed Baby).
    You have all those hormones still floating around...I think it is normal to feel overwhelmed about doing the right thing. You already are! You're BF!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

No matter what, breast is best. Your body will make good milk even if your diet isn't perfect. Just trust your body!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You're giving the baby the best there is, almost no matter what you eat! I felt a huge sense of relief when my baby was born and I didn't have to be so careful about what I ate. I really felt that everything I put in my mouth, or didn't put in my mouth, while pregnant, affected the baby (which basically is true). But when he was born, I was glad to be able to follow the standard advice which is that as long as you eat a relatively balanced and nutritious normal diet while BF, your milk and your baby will be just fine. Were you this worried about it while pregnant? I don't eat perfectly by any means, although I do try to eat a balanced healthful diet. On top of that I eat a lot of treats too . BM is so far superior to formula in every way that you shouldn't worry about every little thing you eat. Your body will do the work of making the milk just perfect for your baby!

What do you feel your diet "should be?" As I said above, I think the standard advice is just to eat a normal balanced diet and that should be just fine.

Yes, "breast is best" and yes, I think you're overreacting!

well, i did worry a lot about what i ate while pregnant, too! but my husband and i eat out a lot because i'm not a very good cook! i try to eat some vegetables everyday, but i'm not too good about fruits. although sweets aren't my weakness, (well, besides m&m's) i love french fries and pizza...

i just think maybe i should've been eating more wholesome (and home cooked) foods. i'm gonna try better from now on, but i already feel guilty about my love for high fat foods!

Just try to get a good balance. If it's too much to make home-cooked foods, you could start with just keeping some fresh fruit around the house so you are at least supplementing your high fat diet with some good-for-you-snacks. Then, add in some fresh veggies- easy to eat things like baby carrots or pre-cut celery sticks. Pizza can actually be pretty healthy if you choose the right toppings. We've recently started making our own (thanks to some inspiration from the ladies around here) and it tastes so much better than the ordered or frozen kind, it's amazing! It doesn't take long to prepare, either and it's actually pretty fun.

Don't get down on yourself, that won't help and will probably actually just make things worse. If you want to make changes, though, you don't have to look at changing everything at once. That can be overwhelming. You can start small and make little changes here and there that really start to add up over time.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My friend used to tease me that my BM must taste like an orange julius because I ate so many of those orange slices with the sugar (candy ones). DS is healthy!!! As a mom we tend to obsess over one issue which represents all our insecurities in being a mother, this is yours. You're doing just fine, keep it up!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

thanks to everyone for the support! i made sure i ate at least 4 servings of veggies yesterday....5 if potato chips count as a vegetable!
    Last edited by @llli*designermom; November 4th, 2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: misspoke

I feel the same way sometimes but your doing a great thing for your LO no matter what you eat, its still better than formula, its alive with antibodies!
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.