Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 1/2 month old not sleeping through night...people telling me it's b/c of bfeeding

Default 5 1/2 month old not sleeping through night...people telling me it's b/c of bfeeding

Hello All,

My LO used to sleep for at least a 6 hour stretch around the age of 3-4 months...shortly after i went back to work. Then she all of a sudden started waking up once a night...then now it is up to 2-3 times a night. i love her so much so don't mind having to feed her, but i have to admit that i am very tired most days, and wish she would give me at least that one 6-7 hour stretch where she would 'skip' a feeding. I've had non breast feeders tell me it's because i do breast feed her, that she is either not getting enough from me or just plain is being 'spoiled' and wants her mommy. She started on cereal at breakfast at 4 months. Should I try to give her cereal at night too? That would mean having to take bottle from me and not me though. How do i deal with this? Any suggestions? Or is this 'normal' for her age?
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

Default Re: 5 1/2 month old not sleeping through night...people telling me it's b/c of bfeedi

My 1 YO doesn't sleep through the night! Many FF say this I have found. 4 mos is very young for cereal and I would not give it to her at night as well. BM is a nutritiently superior food, especially to a single grained cereal, so it would not be good to substitute. Many babies start to reverse cycle a bit when they are away from mom during the day. This is normal. Do you co-sleep? I found this to be the bast way for me to sleep and LO to eat during the night. If not be assured that it is normal and will not last forever.

The No Cry Sleep Solution, by Elizabeth Pantley (sp?) is a great book as well as the Dr. Jay Gordon method, although DD is still young for these methods. In general kids sleep through the night when they are developmentally ready.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: 5 1/2 month old not sleeping through night...people telling me it's b/c of bfeedi

My dd did the same thing when I went back to work. It's called reverse cycling and it's totally normal. She is catching up on nursing that she is missing out during the day and also taking the time to reconnect with her mommy. Here's a couple of links about it with some tips to make it easier on yourself.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have no doubt that you're tired! Combining waking up 2-3 times a night and working is tough. But the level of night-waking you describe is entirely normal. Does it help to know that a lot of babies wake up more often? (Mine woke 5-8 times a night until 10 months. )

Is breastfeeding to blame? I don't think so. I think a lot of formula-fed babies wake up 2-3 times a night, too. Formula-fed babies often do sleep longer than their breastfed peers, but that's because formula digests so slowly- not better or healthier, just slower!

Is your baby spoiled? No. Love and attention does not spoil a baby- it just teaches her to trust that when she has a need it will get met. Leaving a baby alone, or ignoring her- IMHO that's what damages a child, because it teaches them that no matter how hard they cry, their needs won't get met.

Is your milk supply inadequate to your baby's needs? Not if she's gaining weight and meeting milestones and appearing happy and healthy.

As far as I know, the studies that have been done suggest that cereal at bedtime does not make babies sleep longer. But you can definitely try the cereal at bedtime thing, and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can always go back to nursing. Is your baby taking the cereal on a spoon, or in a bottle? I've read that it's not recommended to give cereal in a bottle, as it's a choking hazard. If she's taking cereal from a spoon, there's no reason why you can't top her off with some mamamilk immediately afterwards.

I am sure you're looking around for something you can do to get your baby to sleep longer and better. I highly recommend reading Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution. It's full of techniques to help your baby sleep longer and better at night without resorting to harsh cry-it-out methods, and it has a lot of tips that are specifically for breastfeeding mamas.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for all your posts, ladies!

Yes, i have to get up around 4:45 in the morning to get to work by 7:30, so it's very tiring during the week...but i do love nursing her at night. When she does get cereal it is off of a spoon, but she gets a bottle of my milk with her to eat with it, and to top off at the end of her meal. So it's not 'in place' of my milk...but rather with a bottle of my milk.

I will check into getting this book you both have mentioned. Thank you very much. At least this is normal. I just don't know why she went from sleeping through the night one night and then hasn't since. My milk supply has always been 'low', so that was always a concern of mine as well. But she drinks a lot with her DCP, my mom, from the bottle, so she is gaining well. and she nurses from me a couple times at night before bed, almost like cluster feeding. then of course, has to have a nursing to go to sleep, that is my favorite time!

So, I guess, I read this book and when she is ready to try the methods, and until then just learn to love it daily?! Thank you for all your help again!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

It cannot be because of the BM. I have known many people who have only FF and their children do not STTN. I have a friend whose DD was only FF and now at 14 months she still doens't STTN.

Someone once told me that if your child was born in the late night/early morning (IIRC from like 11PM-4AM) they are more likely to not STTN easily. I have no idea where she got this info from but it makes since from talking with my other mommy friends.
    Billie Jo married to Glen , Mommy to Mireille and Melinda and with #3.

When people ask if your child is STTN, simply say "we're sleeping great...I couldn't be happier." Then they don't think that you have a problem that needs solving.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Did you notice this change when she started cereal? It could be the food causing her to wake up. My friend's LO is 7 months and started baby food. She started sleeping TERRIBLE and the doc told her to wait a little longer for the food. Just a thought mama.

You cannot spoil your baby because she wants to be close to you. That is rediculous! She needs mama more than anyone. Don't listen to those who tell you that you are spoiling her. You are meeting her needs.

Also, I have the book ... No Cry Sleep Solution. I really like it. Even though I can't get DS to sleep through the night at 12 months. LOL!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

not alot of help for you here, from me..
    but a piece of advice..

when people are so shocked that DD doesnt sleep through the night yet *shes only 9 months* i say.. "well when i got pregnant i knew that waking up in the middle of the night numeros times was a given, and i dont mind"

it sure shuts them up!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Thumbs up Re: 5 1/2 month old not sleeping through night...people telling me it's b/c of bfeedi

Wow! More Great Advice ladies!! Thank you so much! Hey - can someone tell me how to do the 'quotes' where you copy in a quote from an above post and use it in yours to respond to? There are a number of them that i have wanted to do this for and never learned how.

But THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the advice and tips on getting people to back off!

You know, yes, she did start her waking up when we did start cereal...we started cereal, because she drinks A LOT of bm throughout the day - to where i can't pump enough to give her in a day, so we have to do 1/2 formula (yuck) bottles. I am on Reglan 3 x a day to help with my milk supply, but i just don't make enough to give her during the day and we were running really low on freezer stash so had to do 1/2 formula bottles again. I just chalk it up and say that I am doing the best that i can though and try to give her all BM when i am with her, even if she needs to eat sooner than 'normal'. AND, she was born at 11:30 at night, so that one post about being born late, etc. that would mean she is definitely in that category!

My LO, Peanut (her nickname since the many days in the hospital), slept wonderfully last night. only woke up once. i even got to bed at 8:45, i had tears of happiness when i checked my clock at 1:45 and knew she was going to wake up soon, i knew i had 5 hours of sleep, and it was amazing!

Any other advice on this matter, I would be more than happy to hear, and hope others that may be having same issue can read and get ideas from it too!

Thank you again ladies, i'm never let down here, i love it!

May 16, 2008