Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another thrush question

Default another thrush question

My daughter has been using for Nystatin for nearly 5 days now. I was just wondering about how long it should take for things to start looking better. It seems as if her thrush is getting worse before getting better. Is this normal?

Question Re: another thrush question

Anyone?

Default Re: another thrush question

I have no idea how long it takes....I was always treating both of us at the same time and it would usually take around 2 weeks for me so that is how long I figured it probably took for him.

You could also try gentian violet, but if I remember correctly, I don't think you are supposed to use nystatin and GV together.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks! I'm treating myself also. I seem to be getting better, and she sems to be getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    she sems to be getting worse.
    Is it the white spots in her mouth that are getting worse? Some of that could be milk stain too. Have you tried wiping it off? Nolan never had white patches from thrush but I read before that white from thrush will not come off or bleed a little if you try to wipe it away. A milk spot of course will wipe away. Maybe that?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Yes, this white spots. She gets them on her lips and I can sometimes wipe them away with no problem. She only has a little on her tongue and none on her cheeks. I am probably being paranoid for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    I am probably being paranoid for no reason.
    it's ok mama! I am too!

From what it sounds like it could just be milk. Hopefully you both are on your way to feeling better soon!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

When we had a particularly bad round of it, I rinsed her mouth with 2-3 cc of water after nursing. This would help keep any residual milk out as thrush loves milk. Maybe it would help for you, maybe not.

Tandem breastfeeding momma to Ellory 2.28.08 and Mallory 6.30.09
    Loving every minute of it!

I'll give the rinsing a try. I've been very lucky myself, no terrible symptoms to report. I have a little itching periodically, but no pain or burning. Thanks for the input ladies!

Are you getting the nystatin spread around in her mouth really well? My dd would kind of just swallow it sometimes, but it's best if you can get a good coating in her mouth before she swallows. It should get better soon. If not, it might be that the nystatin just doesn't work well for you.

Also, check to be sure she isn't reinfecting herself with toys or pacifiers.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous