Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My milk won't let down

Exclamation My milk won't let down

Help! My son is 3 and 1/2 months old and nursing has been going well. Then, this morning at about 3:30a.m. when he woke me up, my milk would not let down. He sucked and sucked and ended up getting frustrated and angry. He eventually fell back asleep b/c it tired him out! Since then, he has only had two feedings today. I have pumped to try to get my milk to let down but it will not. How can I get it to let down again? He keeps getting frustrated b/c he is having to work so hard. I have tried skin on skin, feeding more often, I am not on any meds (just prenatal vit.), I'm not pregnant (took a test a few days ago), I can't think of any reason why my milk stopped letting down! HELP!

Default Re: My milk won't let down

How long does it normally take for your milk to let down? I can tell you that if you were at all stressed about it, then that could make it a lot worse. Next time he nurses try to just relax, focus on him, think about how cute he is, ect.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

also sometimes you do have a letdown, but the tingling feeling isn't as strong.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My problem is that he is too impatient to wait for the let down. He gets really angry, then gives up. HELP

I have suffered with this forever!

It's called 'inhibited letdown'

First of all, it's temporary. It usually only lasts a few days then resolves itself. The more you stress about it the worse it gets.

Take some time out for yourself and try and relax. Hot showers, warm baths, massages from your hubby... anything to get your mind off it.

When you're nursing there are many things you can try. For me, I can do a few breast compressions and my milk will usually letdown. Also, skin-to-skin contact is amazing. If I have a hard time letting down I rub my baby's forehead and stroke his arm. That sometimes helps as well.

You can try not thinking about nursing at all when you're doing it- watch TV, read a book, talk to someone on the phone... and that's another trick I use sometimes.

Hang in there, your letdown reflex will come back! It's just a minor issue, and you will overcome it mommas. Stay strong.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Green.Momma--Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am going to try them out. Just reading your message encouraged me! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bubbles459 View Post
    Green.Momma--Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am going to try them out. Just reading your message encouraged me! Thank you.
    No problem!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09