Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At Wits End Over Pumping!!

Default At Wits End Over Pumping!!

I am a first time mom to a 3 month old little girl. I purchased a Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump because of the reviews I read online, I couldn't find a bad one!! For some reason though, I cant get more than an ounce out of both breasts when I use this pump. What could I be doing wrong? I'm contemplating purchasing a Medela brand pump but cant justify spending a few hundred AGAIN if Im going to have the same issue.

Default Re: At Wits End Over Pumping!!

how long have you been pumping...
    IT is a learned art....

I would say about a month now. Im only pumping so my mom can feed her or so my husband and I can have a night out. If she happens to only eat on one side I've noticed a significant increase in how much I can pump, but only from the uneaten side. Am I only supposed to pump when Im engorged?

naw the more milk you pump or the baby drinks from the tap
    the more milk your body is going to make

this link will help you understand how milk production works

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

When are you pumping? If you are able to pump more when she doesn't use one side, maybe you need to find a time to pump when you're fuller? My favorite time is first thing in the morning, before DS gets up - not only is milk supply the most plentiful then, but I get to pump before he eats. If that's not practical for you, try to wait at least 45-60 minutes after she eats to pump.

You can also try using gravity to help (lean over as you pump) and massaging your breasts to help with letdown.

Good luck!

Oh - and make sure that you relax while you pump, if you can. The more I worry about how much I'll pump, the less I actually produce.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thank you for the information!! Just a few more concerns/questions - I was browsing the Medela website and noticed that there are different sized breast shields (I think thats what they were called) Is it possible that the opening of my pump is too large? Would purchasing one of these for my Lansinoh pump help? AND how do you determine the proper size? Now from what I understand from the Kellymom website milk is continuously being produced in the breast. So if that is the case and I pump, say, 30 to 40 minutes after my daughter has eaten is the reason that I can only pump an ounce in total from both breasts due to the fact that there is only that much milk produced (for lack of a better word)? Since she eats every 2 hours should I wait to pump until she is able to go longer between feedings? Again thank you for the help and advice!!

I've found that a great time for me to pump is in the middle of the night. My dd will sleep for about a 6 to 7 hour stretch at night and I will wake up and pump then. It's hard to find the motivation to get up since we are finally getting some sleep, but I'm usually able to get at least 4 ounces. I don't know if this will work for you, but hopeully you will find it somewhat helpful.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

It gets better over time, you just need to be patient and not fustrated. It took me a long time to adjust to pumping. I've been pumping for 2 months now at work and still have problems keeping up.

In the beginning, I almost gave up. I could barely pump an ounce out with my medela pump. I took some advice from a friend and rented a hopital grade pump. I rent my for $75/month. She said that the hospital grade pump would help my body get use to pumping and then I would be able to switch back to using my medela personal pump. So far so good.

I even got a manual pump. Suprisingly, I'm really able to pump a lot with it (though I do get tired using it)! Suction is better than the electric and it costs $30-$50, depending on which brand you buy. It is less of an investment, but maybe worth it to help get your body use to pumping.

I still have my hospital grade pump, but I am becoming more successful with my personal medela pump.

HTH!

Sounds like you are also trying to increase your supply a bit. Not sure on this but that's just the way it appears to me. If so, try pumping for 10 mins right after she eats.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.

Hi, I have breastfed four children now,although this does not make me an expert, I have found that if you pump right before your feeding it hleps. The other thing that deffinatley works is pumping both breasts at the same time. Hope this helps.