Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for missed feeding

Default Pumping for missed feeding

How long should I pump if I am pumping in place of feeding my 7wk old. I pumped for 20min with the Lactina rental and only got 2 1/2oz together. I am freaking that I am not going to have enough when I return to work in a couple weeks. I rented the pump, I am taking the more milk plus 3x/day and pumping after just about every feeding and am only getting about 6oz in a day from pumping all together after feedings.

Default Re: Pumping for missed feeding

I'm responding partially to bump this for more replies but also to say that although I rarely pump anymore, from what I remember 2 ounces is pretty standard for a lot of moms! Especially in the beginning, when your baby probably isn't taking much more than that at each feeding at the breast.

Here's a link that may help to reassure you... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

There's a milk calculator at kellymom.com to help you figure out how much your baby might be needing.

IIRC you should pump for about 15-20 minutes per missed feeding, or a few minutes after the last drops of milk.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Pumping for missed feeding

I pump all the time and I usually get around 6-8 from 3 sessions while I am at work.

Are you only pumping once a day?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?