Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and oversupply

Default Pumping and oversupply

My DD is 5 1/2 months old. I've been block feeding, though I didn't know this is what it was called until recently. DD never showed an interest in the other breast, so after a while, I stopped offering. I have had a problem w/ OS from the get-go. DD was gassy, had green watery stools, gulping/choking, etc. I thought most of these things were behind us, as she still has watery stools, but they are no longer green, she only chokes occasionally and usually first thing in the morning when I'm really full, and she doesn't seem to be gassy all that often now. But, over the last month or so, I've had two bouts of mastitis. I've blamed it on many things...stress/fatigue, a distractible baby, a sick baby, etc. But, I wonder about OS too. I still block feed, but I double-pump 3 times/day 3 days/week at work. (I can't believe it never occurred to me that this might be a bad idea) Anyway, I am considering just pumping one breast per pumping session, but I don't know if this is a good idea as far as my freezer stash is concerned. Right now, I bring home 4 4-oz bottles per day. DD tends to reject the bottle at DC, but when she does eat, she usually takes no more than 3 bottles. Many times, she doesn't finish these bottles. So, if I were to start pumping only one breast, do you think I would bring home enough to supply her feedings at DC? I am terrified of her running out of milk! Any thoughts?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Pumping and oversupply

I don't think I have a solution but I'm curious as to the answers you get to this question. I too have oversupply and pump twice at work 5 days a week for my 6 month old. I have much more milk and engoregement on Friday after a week of pumping than I do after feeding my LO on weekends. When I am home, we feed 6 times a day, with only one breast per feeding. At work, I double pump each session. I usually get up to 7oz and 6oz during those 2 sessions. I only leave 3 3oz bottles (9oz total) while I am gone. I really want to drop a pump session as it is stressful to get away and pump at work and I feel it contributes to my OS problems and LO biting me when we nurse. I have to pretty much schedule his feedings every 4 hours or so or since he doesn't show hunger signs and he bites me when it's been less time and he's not hungry. I do worry about my freezer supply though if I try to drop a session and only pump what LO eats. Even with OS I don't take my supply for granted.

It makes sense to pump in a way that mimics how you nurse when you are with your baby. So, if you block feed, you would mimic that by pumping one breast at the time you'd be nursing if you were with your baby.

I hope some other mothers will jump in on this topic.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I just started today so we'll see how it goes. I tried pumping just one breast per session. I got 5oz and 4oz which is how much I'll leave in bottles tomorrow. My left breast is more hyperproductive and also doesn't seem to let down as well to the pump so it is kinda painful right now. I hope LO nurses well instead of biting tonight. It's scary suddenly pumping 6oz less per day. I was hoping my body was somewhat adjusted from the weekend and only feeding one breast at a time.

I have been struggling with this from the get - go. I can only pump once at work, so I had to double pump to get enough milk for LO. But that meant that you girls, I was ending up with extra milk and not able to even out my oversupply. Now my lo has had a week of green stools and is very gassy, not feeling well. I'm going to try today to block pump and block feed - we'll see! How are things going for you? I hope other moms will chime in because this has been VERY frustrating for me!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I have been struggling with this from the get - go. I can only pump once at work, so I had to double pump to get enough milk for LO. But that meant that you girls, I was ending up with extra milk and not able to even out my oversupply. Now my lo has had a week of green stools and is very gassy, not feeling well. I'm going to try today to block pump and block feed - we'll see! How are things going for you? I hope other moms will chime in because this has been VERY frustrating for me!
    If you believe the green stools and gassyness are due to too much foremilk, have you considered skimming the cream (the fatty, hindmilk) off the top of your pumped bottles and just leaving that for the bottles? One nice thing about pumping is that you can control the foremilk/hindmilk proportions by discarding some of the foremilk.

I hope that makes sense.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Recently, when I've pumped, I haven't been able to empty my breasts - so I don't have much hindmilk. I like the idea, but if I gave her only my hindmilk it would be only like 2-3 oz. When I hand express before I feed her, I can get 2-4 oz. of foremilk and then she nurses and still doesn't empty my breast! Yikes!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Any other thoughts????

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

bump
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

What does "bump" mean?

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months