Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rapidly losing hope clogged breast

Default Rapidly losing hope clogged breast

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I had sub-clinical mastitis that was treated in early September 08. Since then, I have had plugged ducts and a blocked nipple, all in my left breast. It is very very frustrating. It seems like it's getting better, milk will start to stream like normal (like from the right breast) and then it starts getting worse again. The aureole is hard, the nipple is plugged, I just can't win. And my baby gets so frustrated because milk just drips out the left side, it doesn't stream like the right. I don't know if it's even plugged ducts, because those are supposed to resolve within 48 hours, and this has been going on for 2 months. I have done everything--I take lecithin 1200 3x/day, before every breastfeed I do 3 hot warm soaks with a washcloth (and massage it at the same time) and gently try to remove any nipple blockage, and after each breastfeed I apply olive oil. I take a hot bath every night. I have seen my healthcare provider, I have seen the lactation consultant--nobody knows what's going on. I went to get a diagnostic ultrasound--they said there's nothing wrong in there. The pediatrician also checked my baby's frenulum and said that was fine.
    One other lactation consultant said that an ultrasound treatment for this does exist, and in fact, when they did the diagnostic u/s, it seemed to get better for 1/2 a day. But nobody can tell me where they do this. (Dr. Jack Newman recommends this treatment--he's Canada's breastfeeding guru.)
    In the past with this left breast, I have had milk mucus come out of the nipple. I also have shooting pains into the nipple off and on.
    Has this ever happened to anyone? Any ideas on what I should do?
    Last edited by @llli*carrolla; November 2nd, 2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: forgot some details

Default Re: Rapidly losing hope clogged breast

I get plugged ducts all the time, but mine are in both breasts and they resolve within 48 hours when I get them. The only thing that has worked for me is when I can't get a plug out I nurse the baby and then look at my nipple to see if there is a white plug anywhere in the nipple. When I see a tiny white spot in my nipple I use a needle to gently remove the plug and this usually gets milk flowing again. This is not for the faint of heart (it hurts) though and I do it usually when I am desperate to get a plug out.

Thank you for your reply. Whenever I try to do that, it grows back worse than before....

I found this info on the web from this site:

"If a blocked duct has not settled within 48 hours (unusual), therapeutic ultrasound often works. This can be arranged at a neighbourhood physiotherapy office or sports medicine clinic. Many ultrasound therapists are not aware of this use for ultrasound. The dose is:

2 watts/cm2, continuous, for five minutes to the affected area, once daily for up to two doses.

If two treatments on two days have not worked, there is no point in continuing with ultrasound. Get the blocked duct re-evaluated at the clinic or your own physician. Usually, however, if ultrasound is going to work, one treatment is all that is needed. Ultrasound also seems to prevent recurrent blocked ducts which always occur in the same part of the breast. "

So you may want to search for a sports medicine clinic in your area, but as the article suggests, the tech may not be aware of this use of ultrasound.

Also, you want me to read this chapter from the Nursing Mother's Herbal (p 161). There may be some info in there to help you figure out what's going on. GL!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

I just read your second post. Go to page 164 of the book link I sent you. It talks about a "galactocele." That sounds like exactly what you have!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Carrolla,
    I'm having similar problems...a sore lump in my right breast that has persisted for a month. My OB/Gyn believes it's a plugged duct, as does the lacatation consultant I saw the day after it developed. I haven't found anyone or anything to help so far. Next week I'm trying ultrasound and massage through a physiotherapist office, which I was able to get my osteopath to write me a RX for. I'm still trying to get back in touch with my ob/gyn to get some scans done to see what's going on in there. I'll keep you posted with what happens, and please let me know how you're doing and if anything works for you!!