Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changed my mind...

Default Changed my mind...

Hello, I am the mother of a 9 month old infant, and have successfully been working and breastfeeding since I returned to work when he was 12 weeks old. My family (hubby, 3 year old daughter and baby son) recently relocated for a job promotion and I have found it increasingly difficulty to keep up the feedings and pumping, since I am out of town about 2 nights a week. I decided, after much internal debate, last Thursday night to give up the breastfeeding. I went through over 48 hours of huge, lumpy, aching breasts. This morning, my breasts were a bit softer and less painful. It appeared that my milk was finally drying up. Instead of feeling relieved, however, I was devastated. I changed my mind. So, I pumped out all my milk (about 25 oz in all!). However, this evening, I have only been able to pump out about 2 oz total. Did I irreversably damage my milk supply? If not, how do I get it back? I decided to compromise and only do morning and bedtime pumping/feedings until my son is a year old. Can I still do this? Please help!

Default Re: Changed my mind...

Did I irreversably damage my milk supply?
    No. Your supply can definitely bounce back. Lots of moms relactate, and you are definitely ahead of the game because you still have milk. You won't be starting from scratch!

If not, how do I get it back?
    The more often you pump or nurse, and the more thoroughly you drain your breasts when you do, the faster your supply will rebound. When I had supply problems, I was able to boost my supply in a hurry by pumping each side for 10 minutes every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night.

I decided to compromise and only do morning and bedtime pumping/feedings until my son is a year old. Can I still do this?
    Yes! I think your plan is a great compromise, and in case you want to, there's no reason why you can't nurse more frequently on the weekends and holidays when you are home, and then cut back to 2X a day when you're working.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, that is great information! I got a little more out this morning - maybe an ounce on each side. I have been keeping the pump on for about 15 min with a Medela Pump in Style (a double). If I pump about every 2 hours during the day, how long will it take to significantly increase my supply? When can I then go to morning and night feedings/pumpings only?

Is very sad for me to see such a small amount of milk come out, especially when I was going for 9 months with more than enough so that i could freeze extra. I made a 12-mo BF goal for myself and I can't belive I was ready to give up!

So, is there anything else I can do to boost the supply in addition to this? I read on some other discussions some stuff about oatmeal and fenugreek? What is that all about?

Thanks!!

I got a little more out this morning - maybe an ounce on each side.
    Excellent! Sounds like you are well on your way to restoring your milk supply. I'm glad you have a PIS- that's a good pump and the better your pump is, the faster you will get where you want to go.

If I pump about every 2 hours during the day, how long will it take to significantly increase my supply? When can I then go to morning and night feedings/pumpings only?
    There's no exact answer to this question because every woman is different and responds differently to an increased pumping schedule. I would guess that you can get a good supply back in 2 weeks if you keep up with the pumping... But it could take longer or it could take less time! You can go to morning/night feedings/pumping sessions whenever you feel that your milk supply is up to the challenge. Just be aware that if you pump/nurse just twice a day, your supply will ultimately be small in relation to your baby's total needs, so unless your baby is eating a balanced diet of solids, supplementing with formula will probably need to be part of your routine. (I'm sure you figured this out already, though!)

I made a 12-mo BF goal for myself and I can't belive I was ready to give up!
    Don't worry about it! We all have days when we feel like quitting- and some of us do. What makes you different is that you decided to come back to nursing after quitting, which takes real dedication!

So, is there anything else I can do to boost the supply in addition to this?
    The best thing you can do to boost your supply is to nurse or pump as often as possible. There are herbal supplements that are totally safe, and which are effective for many women. Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and oatmeal are all commonly used. Oatmeal is easy- just eat a big bowl for breakfast. Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle are available in Mother's Milk Tea, or at health food stores in capsule form. I think the best quality- and cheapest- fenugreek you can by is in the ethnic foods aisle at the grocery store. Look among the Indian foods for bags of small yellow-grey fenugreek seed labeled "Methi." Put a teaspoon in boiling water, drink the tea, and swallow the seeds. You'll know you're taking enough when you start to smell like maple syrup.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"