Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medications to increase milk supply

Default Medications to increase milk supply

I need to take a medication to increase my milk supply (as I have tried everything and nothing has proved to be effective). Has anyone taken anything? My LC recommended Reglan. I looked it up, however, and I am scared of the possible side effects (depression, fatigue... I am already tired to the bone)... Has anyone heard of Domperidone? Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!!!

Default Re: Medications to increase milk supply

Hi! I used Reglan for a few weeks in the beginning, when a bad latch had resulted in a low milk supply and a baby who wasn't gaining weight. I didn't have any side effects that I noticed. I was tired, but I think that was from never sleeping more than 2.5 hours at a stretch. I never got depressed, even though I was more at risk from it since there is a lot of depression in my family.

If you do decide to take Reglan, I would suggest seeing a LC and renting a scale. That way, you'll know exactly how much milk you're giving your LO, and when your supply matches demand, you can immediately start to taper off on the medication. (I was told to drop one daily dose every week, going from 4 a day to 3 a day for a week, then 2 a day for a week, etc.)

Good luck!

Default Re: Medications to increase milk supply

I took Reglan and plan on taking it again because im trying to relactate. I didnt have any bad side effects BUT every person is different. And if you have or are dealing with depression id stay away from it. I cant tell you about Dom ive never taken them, but ive heard alot of good about herbal things like Mothers Milk Tea, Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, eating oatmeal. LOTS and LOTS and more water.