Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Milk Supply...Help!

Default Low Milk Supply...Help!

I have a 15 week old and for some reason, my supply is extremely low. It started last week...she got restless during and after nursing and wasn't satisfied. I pumped and noticed I was only getting 2 ounces total (I used to get 4-5 ounces total). I've been taking More Milk Plus supplements, drinking Mother's Milk tea, pumping after nursing, taking calcium supplements, drinking 8 8 oz waters, and now I'm having to supplement with formula just to keep LO fed. I don't want to stop nursing now...but I'm not getting any support from family or dr. I haven't done anything differently so I'm not sure why the sudden dip in supply. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm so frustrated!

Default Re: Low Milk Supply...Help!

How often do you nurse your baby? Does she just sleep through the night? Do you take any medication?

Why do you think that your supply is low? Pumping isn't a very good indicator. You could have an abundant supply but not be able to pump a drop.

Is there a way that you could buy/rent a scale to see exactly how much your LO is getting?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I nurse her everytime she seems hungry...about every 3 to 4 hours. Sometimes she'll go five hours between feedings but not usually. She isn't sleeping through the night yet, in fact, she usually likes to nurse every 2 hours at night (maybe because I pull her in bed with me? ) No, I'm not taking any medications...only prenatal vitamins. I have already started my cycles again...even though I was breastfeeding almost exclusively (I was only giving her a bottle about once a month), could that be a problem?

The following resources might offer some useful information for ya - let us know

Decrease in pump output
    Low supply
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Why do you think that your supply is low? Pumping isn't a very good indicator. You could have an abundant supply but not be able to pump a drop.

Is there a way that you could buy/rent a scale to see exactly how much your LO is getting?
    I think my supply is low because she's no longer satisfied during/after feedings, I always feel "soft", I can only pump a small amount, I'm not leaking anymore...

I had her weight checked at the drs office last week but they didn't seem too interested and didn't even have me remove her clothes, etc. They don't seem concerned with me using formula. I could go to the local nursing store but do I need to do that before a feeding every day or just once?