Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it normal, or is he weaning?

Default is it normal, or is he weaning?

Hi all (again) - so, DS is 11 months now. For the past couple of weeks, he has been doing even shorter nursing sessions during the day, and for the past week, he has been going up to 6 hours during the day without nursing. This basically means he is refusing his lunchtime nursing session. Nothing has changed in our lives recently - no new teeth, no illness, no change in routine at all. He used to nurse every 3-4 hrs during the day. I get a little engorged some days because of the increased time between feedings, which hasn't happened since he was a newborn.

For many months his daytime nursings would last 5 minutes each side max. Now I'm lucky if he will stay on for 2 minutes. He is still nursing 5-7 times per day. He is still nursing well and without a struggle during the night (nurses 1-2 times) and still cluster feeds from 4-7 am, although the number of times during the cluster has decreased.

He has been eating 3 solid meals per day for awhile now, and he loves solids. His only other liquid is water, which he doesn't drink a lot of although I offer it periodically during the day.

He has never really loved nursing, never was a comfort nurser, and I feel has BF only for food since he was about 4 months old. I want to keep BF as long as possible, especially since we are dairy-free for the forseeable future. Up till now I diligently offered nursing before each solid meal, but now he is refusing it a lot so I end up BF after the meal sometimes, if he will take it.

Do you think he is really starting to wean now, or is he transitioning to a toddler-type BF pattern?
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; November 1st, 2008 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: is it normal, or is he weaning?

My guess is he's becoming a busy toddler. It is very rare for a baby to self-wean before a year...and remember he has been "weaning" ever since he started solids. Just continue to offer often if you are worried, but I wouldn't worry that you are even close to being done.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Maybe be he's too busy playing? My boy used to be like that too, not interested much in nursing and nursed only 2-5 minutes and then wanted to go play. Now he nurses longer because he has to be at the daycare so I guess he wants to be close to me more. I don't think your boy is ready to wean yet. He just wants to play more

bump - does this sound like a typical toddler nursing pattern? Would love to hear others' stories.

Hi, yes we had a similar thing here. From the age of 10 months to 14 Olly hardly ever fed during the day, luckly he would feed at night so we were able to continue bf. I think if we weren't night feeding he would have weaned, and I have a friend who's child slept through the night, and so they did end up weaning at this age. From 14 months to about 17 Olly rediscovered the breast and barely left it :-) I think he discovered that he could now do more while feeding, ie games with me, reading books etc, so it wasn't so boring. It was pretty wierd going from one to the other. Now he's down to 3 or 4 feeds a day, quite reasonable.
    When Olly wasn't feeding during the day I did used to offer lots, but cut back after a while as I was a bit worried about "forcing it" and therefore making it less attractive. While you can wean a child, you definately can't make them continue.
    Children can be so dynamic, and things can change so quickly.
    One thing I did do when I was tring to keep Olly feeding was to have baths with him as he always loved feeding in the bath :-)
    All the best :-)