Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old and nursing

Default 8 month old and nursing

Hi,

how many times should an 8 month old nurse and how many times should she have solids?

thanks
    Prathibha

Default Re: 8 month old and nursing

It probably depends on your situation and the individual baby. As a reference point, I work three days a week. On the days I work, my 9 month old nurses about 6 times (in a 24 hour period), get 3 bottles of EBM, and gets 3 solids meals. On days that I am home, she nurses about 9-11 times (in a 24 hour period) and usually has two solids meals. Each solids meal generally ranges from 2-4 ozs and nursing always comes before soilds. Hope this helps a bit.

I am at home full time. Right now my daughter nurses every 2/12 - 3 hrs, that is 7-8 times in a 24 hr period and I give her solids once. If you try to give solids after nursing, wont the baby be full to try anything new or to eat more? When does solids replace a nursing session?

I have read that you should aim for at least 6-8 nursing sessions in 24 hours until 12 mo, but 4 is the bare minimum before you need to suplement (or better yet increase nursing ). If she's nursing 7-8 times in 24 hours, it sounds like you're both right on track! Definately nurse before offering solids (within the hour before) until at least 12 mo so baby's getting the bulk of her calories from breastmilk and not solids until that point. With ds I generally nursed him less than 30 min before offering solids and it never made him less likely to try new things.

Solids can begin to replace nursing sessions around 12 mo.

HTH