Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 mo. twins & weaning

Default 15 mo. twins & weaning

Hi there! My 15 month old twins have developed odd nursing habits within the last month. They really only want to nurse every other day or so but are terrible fussy during the day and are now waking 1-2x during the night. One of my girls will only nurse if she sees the other nurse and then is not for more than 1-2 minutes. However, once in a blue moom they will both just go to town and wipe me out!

I had thought they were self-weaning but Bf'ing is still the only thing that keeps them from getting super fussy. However, they are not that interested in it regularly.

I'm not looking to wean them but I wonder if it's pretty much pointless at every other day. How long can my body keep up an everyother (sometime 3day) milk production?

Should I stop offering the breast or try to get them to nurse more regularly? A occasional nursing schedule is just too difficult fo me to maintain for twin toddlers.

Default Re: 15 mo. twins & weaning

I have 14 mos old twins, so I know how crazy life is

You could wean if that is what you want to do. Otherwise, your body will do just fine with their crazy nursing schedule. The twins may not get tons of milk (and maybe not any), but at this age they are probably nursing for comfort, so they will still be getting that.

If this is totally unclear please let me know, I was up with a sick toddler last night.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Thanks! I hadn't planned on weaning them, I just thought they might be doing it themselves - then they get interested again.

Do mothers nurse when they know the child (or children ) isn't getting any milk? I thought comfort nursing was when the child was still getting milk but just upset rather than hungry.

I guess I need to educate myself on extended Bf'ing! Just when I thought I had it all figured out!!!
    Thanks, Jordon

Now I don't have twins, but I can give you my opinion. My 21 month old, nurses like that sometimes. On some days it is 5-6 times, on other days maybe 1, and then at night. On days that she is busy, or playing, or pre-ocupied in any way, she doesn't usually ask for it. Maybe being that you have two...there is always a game to play, and something exciting going on. I know with twins there is probably never "alone" time, but maybe if somehow you can find a little time each day to take one at a time into a room, and have that be their special nurse time, without their best friend there to distract them. Good luck to you. And WAY TO GO MOMMA for nursing those babies for 15 months!!!

It really depends on the child -- and the mother! Some nurslings (and mothers) are happy to nurse even if there is very little milk. Some get frustrated when the milk supply lessens. One mother I know nursed her son through her whole pregnancy even though there was very little milk towards the end. For him, the comfort was more important than the amount of milk. I've heard of other toddlers who give up nursing during pregnancy because of the changes in the milk.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by jmanis
    Do mothers nurse when they know the child (or children ) isn't getting any milk? I thought comfort nursing was when the child was still getting milk but just upset rather than hungry.