Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: colostrum? if not, what?

Default colostrum? if not, what?

I've been pumping for 5 weeks and taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. I am getting some yellow/gold/honey colored liquid from my right breast....actually, in the right breast I've been getting a pretty nice amount of this (like, maybe a tablespoon or more per day- depending on how long I pump) I've never lactated before. Since I'm inducing lactation, is this colostrum? If not, then what is it? Is it a good sign- meaning, does it in any way indicate that I'm going to make some milk?

On a side note- my left breast is making a very sparse amount of a much thicker, greenish like substance (sorry if it all sounds gross). So my left breast and my right breast are not marching to the same beat. I don't know if this is a sign of anything either?

Sorry if this has already been posted. I'm a newbie.

Default Re: colostrum? if not, what?

its normal for one breast to produce more then the other...
    Have you talked to your local leader?
    she can find more info for you!

How exciting to get anything out!

Im really interested to see what others say so

BUMP! corn
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

I did talk to my LLL leader and she did some research but couldn't find out for sure what it is either. Actually, the research she did for me came up mostly saying that if you're inducing lactation you will NOT make colostrum. She sent me here to this forum for answers! ha ha!

I'm excited that something is coming out, but I'm also curious as to what it is or if I should start saving it for my baby who will be home in January. ???????????

Many thanks if there's anyone out there who has a clue about this.

Well I am no expert but surely nothing that comes out of your breast could be bad for baby.Know what I mean? Unless you had an infection, which I guess you would be aware of...
    I would love to know there are many forums specifically for relactators. Did you every think you would get that tag? Google is your friend I guess, if you find out, do come bak and fill us in!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

This is normal. It means that your breasts are begining to produce milk. Congratulations!!! Are you by chance using a pump in style? I really suggest that you get a hospital grade pump. It will bring in milk faster because it stimulates milk better.

Also since you have until January before baby arrives you may want to try some of the protocals listed here.

http://www.asklenore.info/