Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD rejecting BM in bottle at DC

Default DD rejecting BM in bottle at DC

My daughter is 13 months old and she is rejecting BM in bottle at the daycare. The DCP says she tries to give her milk in a cup but my daughter doesn't take it. At home she is nursed on demand and we co-sleep. What do I do? Is she weening herself? I don't give her much else but some water. The DCP wants me to give her juice/water combo as well. I'm worried!

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: DD rejecting BM in bottle at DC

Have you tried different types of cups?

Our LO didn't really like the traditional sippy, so we got a Nuby one with the soft straw and he loves it! Maybe something like that would help?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I tried that one too and she doesn't take it. I don't know what to do!

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

YUP I agree, find a cup she likes might take a few
    I think also its normal for kids that age to reject the bottle, she's got it figured out that If I take a bottle I will nap and that's not a fun thing to do so... I'll just refuse and stay up.

I wouldn't worry about it. My dd started refusing bottles of BM around 12 mos or so and at the time wouldn't drink BM or cow's milk from a cup either. I knew she was getting plenty of nutrition from my breastmilk (nursing while we were together) and solids (I made sure to offer her calcium rich foods) so I didn't worry about it. They continued offering milk in a cup at day care and she eventually started drinking it, but even if she hadn't I wouldn't have been concerned because I knew cow's milk wasn't exactly necessary. She would drink water from a cup so I knew she wasn't in danger of dehydration either.

If your dd is getting nursing at night and eating solids and drinking water during the day she is fine. Juice is really unnecessary and I'm not sure why they would feel it would help unless your dd is refusing water and they think she might be more likely to drink it if it were sweetened with juice.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When my DS was about 13 or 14 mo he was pretty much refusing to take EBM in a sippy at preschool.

I was sick of pumping - especially since DS wasn't taking the EBM.

I stopped pumping when DS was 16 mo and switched DS to getting soy milk from a straw cup at preschool (he's allergic to cow milk).

This didn't affect our nursing relationship at all. DS is 27 mo, nurses 3 or 4 times a day and continues to get soy milk (or water) at preschool. I'm a much happier mommy not pumping.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I am SO frustrated. My DD is still refusing bottle or cup with EBM at the day care provider. She drinks very little water or diluted juice. She nurses on demand at home and during the night, although, my husband is putting on the pressure for me to move her to her own room (we co-sleep) and I don’t want to do that!!! I feel that it will end BFing for her if we do that. What can I do? How do I know if she is dehydrated?

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Don't worry. And Do NOT feel pressured into giving your child juice or any other beverage if you are not ready. I went back to work at 14months and all my son ever had at cay care (And STILL has at daycare) was water in a sippy He'll be 3 next month. He is growing just fine. . If you are breastfeeding on demand while together that is enough BM. You need no other beverage and your child will be fine just drinking water while away from you. Don't worry.

Way too lazy for formula