Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problem nursing after pumping during the day

Default Problem nursing after pumping during the day

Hi,
    My son is 5 months old and received no formula until a few days ago. A month ago I started pumping in place of one feeding in order to produce milk for the cereal we started giving him. (Please don't start arguing with me on that. Our pediatrician ordered it in an attempt to increase his weight gain. She is old school and old world and so are we (from former USSR) and that is how it had been done for decades.)

I struggled with pumping a bit because I was using a manual pump. But then I rented a Symphony and things started going great. I built up a nice surplus in the freezer. Then suddenly one evening a week ago I sat down to nurse and nothing! No letdown! My poor baby pulled off with the kind of cry that breaks a mother's heart. I've had problems with letdown ever since. It's been extremely slow. I started pumping instead of nursing during the day to try and save those night, morning, and evening nursings. I am worried that my son will reject the breast altogether because it frustrates him so much.

Could it be because my breasts and/or my brain got re-conditioned to react to the pump instead of the baby? What can I do?

I mean, I've had quite a bit of stress. I've returned to work (a month ago). My boss allowed me to work from home most of the time as long as I "produce" which is pretty stressful in this economy. There are other things too. And I am just not a relaxed type. I don't know what to do. I am not ready to give up yet, but I find myself dreading every nursing.

Thanks,
    Wanitall

Default Re: Problem nursing after pumping during the day

Honestly it sounds to me as if you are just stressing about this which can affect let-down. I have combined nursing with pumping with 4 babies now and I can honestly say that the only time I ever had this type of problem, doubting my supply and feeling the baby wasn't getting enough was on the first. With the others, I relaxed a whole lot more. I believe that taking the herb fenugreek can help with letdown if you wanted to see if that helped. Also you have to bear in mind that the letdown can become less symptomatic as you go on. Ds4 is 6 months old and now that I think of it, I haven't felt the letdown in months but he's still growing!

I agree with pp that it may well be that stressing about not letting-down is making you not let-down. I go through phases of it taking ages and then get stressed about it which just makes it worse. Can you try leaving it longer between pumping and nursing, sometimes that helps me. Or I distract myself by reading or working while I pump.

FWIW I agree with you on the cereal front.

Thanks for the replies! I know I am stressing out about the letdown which makes it worse. That's probably why it is easier with the pump - the pump can wait, the baby cannot. I've been doing all kind of pre-nursing things to get it going - hot water, hot drinks, nipple twists - and it got a bit better.