Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to tell if my supply gone down if pregnant...

Default how to tell if my supply gone down if pregnant...

i have just found out i am pregnant again, my son is only 9 months old, and we tried for over 2 years for him, so this one has come as a bit of a shock...for a week or so before we found out tho, at night (we co sleep) he had been very fussy..would wake up crying, latch on and feed, come off, fall back asleep then cpl seconds later latch back on, he is spending most of the night latched on...he had always woken up maybe 3 times in night, but would feed very quickly and go back to sleep, so was never a problem. He has food twice a day and sips of water from a sippy, altho sometimes he doesnt want to, he is still fed on demand, around 7-8 times a day, not counting the nights!! he has a big poop every 2-3 days, with smaller ones most days...and i counted yesterday, he had about 5-6 wet nappies, altho some mornings lately he has not been as wet in the morning first thing as he used to be. in the day he does not seem particulaly fussy, happy nad playing fin..it is only at night. I dont know if it is something else, or if it is a milk issue, like he is hungry?
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: how to tell if my supply gone down if pregnant...

It sounds like you are worried about your infant not getting enough milk and that since you have gotten pregnant he has been nursing more at night. Most women do not start having a decline this early in pregnancy, some never have a decline in milk production and continue to nurse into the 9th month. It sounds more likely that your son is either having a growth spurt, learning something new, or some teeth trying to make their way through. They sometimes just go through spells of nursing frequently at night without us ever figuring out precisely why.

When pregnant with my second my milk didn't decline until the 5th month and I could tell because my DD would get very frustrated and try to chew my nipple, after popping her off every 5 seconds for a week or two she decided to stop trying. Now she was 17 months old so it was not a big deal as far as nutrition. You may never run into this problem, but if you were he may be around a year before you really have a problem. Also some children restart easily when the new baby is born and milk is back.

Do you know how pregnant you are? I agree with the pp that it is more likely teething or a growth spurt or something keeping your lo up at night, though it is possible your milk is changing due to hormones. Like the pp said, some women never have a problem, some have their milk dry up later, but some do have it dry up earlier. If your milk does dry up due to pregnancy there isn't a lot you can really do about it. Just make sure you continue to drink plenty of water, eat nutritiously (oatmeal is supposed to be good for boosting supply), and take prenatal vitamins (if recommended by your doctor).

Congratulations on your new baby!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i have no idea how pregnant i am! anywhere from 5-12 weeks tbh! it is still a shock!! lol, altho a happy one...the first sign that had me thinking was being really thirsty, i was always so thirsty when pregnant with Lucas, i would drink gallons of water, and ive been like that now for a cpl weeks! have an appointment with gp on mon, then will be booked in with midiwfe, and hopefully get sent for a dating scan fairly quicklty so i can find out how far along i am.
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Congratulations on being pregnant!

I had a similar situation, so I thought I'd share my story.

I got pregnant with my 2nd when DS was 9 mo. My supply dipped after about a month. He started waking up at night to feed after MONTHS of not waking up. He also was extra fussy when eating. I know some people will tell you that your supply shouldn't diminish, but mine did. I also started getting sick. Unfortunately, I stopped nursing during the day when DS was 10 months, but I still nursed him morning and night until he was 1 year (that was my goal). He drank goat's milk and now is an incredibly healthy toddler.

I was bummed that I couldn't nurse fully until 1 year. But I knew that I needed to take care of myself and the new baby, also. Plus, I was working full time. I might have tried to keep nursing if I had been at home.

Anyway, don't be discouraged if you can't keep up the nursing (hopefully, you will be able to!). You have made it quite far (9 months is a LONG TIME) and you can still partially nurse for as long as you can...if you can't fully nurse.

And if you can get a hold of some goat's milk, it's really good stuff.

Take care!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

ok, so for the last few days he seems to have gone right down on the number of wet nappies.....3 so far today, 1st change at 8.30 am and it is now 22.50 pm!!! i changed him at 7.15 pm, it was wet but not his usual wet...and i popped a tissue in so i could check......at 22.15 it was still dry!! so 3 hrs!!!! yesterday when he had his bath, he was wet...but again not seeming his usual wet, altho he did then wee all over the bathroom floor!!!! it just seems like the last few days he has been peeing a lot less, he is still as fussy at night, if not more fussy....which is starting to drain on me......doesnt help im loaded with cold...but im not sure what to do, i can never pump anything....he has never had a bottle, he has always refused one, so i dont know if i need to try going to formula...and if i did, i have no idea how much he would need for his age/weight..he is 9 and a half months and around 20lbs!!

I'd say at this point to trust your mommy instinct and try to get him some more fluids during the day. I wouldn't introduce a bottle at this point but rather would focus on improving his sippy cup skills. If he doesn't like the one you have try other brands. Or use a regular cup and hold it for him. Continue to keep track of wet diapers. As far as what to put in the cup I think that depends on whether you think he's getting any milk at all. If he's still getting some but not as much as before you may be okay with just water. If you think he's not getting much milk at all than you may need to do formula from a sippy cup for a few months. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.