Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Missing a feeding and making it up?

Default Missing a feeding and making it up?

I'm just starting to get out occassionally and tonight I gave my 7-week-old twin girls EBM bottles while we were out. I was planning to pump as soon as I got home to make up for the missed feeding, but by the time I got home, they were ready to eat again, so I missed the session. I just pumped after they nursed, but I'm wondering if that is enough. I worked really hard to build up my supply for my twins and I don't want to risk it. That said, nursing twins on the go is really complicated for me, so it seems like bottles might be our solution if we aren't at home (or someone else's house) when it is time to eat. How do other people deal with missing a feeding?

Default Re: Missing a feeding and making it up?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about missing the feeding. Your supply shouldn't change that fast.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's not happening on a daily basis. When ever I miss I try to pump but I also run into my lo being ready to eat when I return. If that happens I just feed her, if my breasts still feel full I'll pump to keep the supply. She is older now, but I did the same thing when she was younger.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

OK. Thanks for the input. I'm still pretty new at this and worked really hard to build up my supply for two, so I'm paranoid about losing it.