Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thrush question

Question thrush question

My daughter is 2 mos. old today. Our ped noticed a very small amount of thrush in her mouth. She perscribed meds for her. I asked her if I had no symptoms, should I still be treated ans she said no. Is it possible that I could have it too with no symptoms? What symptoms should I notice?:

Default Re: thrush question

If your LO has thrush then you could DEFINITLEY get it and should be treating yourself too with an antifungal cream! You will know if you get it, you could either get it externally (which i have never had but i think you get itchy and sore nipples) but if you get it internally in your ducts it can be very very painful (i have had it twice).. Sharp shooting pains when you feed and also when i had it, it was too sore to feed so i had to express and i was expressing pus! (not nice). I got a course of Fluconazole which sorted it but my LO had no symptoms but i still had to treat her otherwise the infection would just ping pong between us. Get some canesteen or daktarin for yourself. good luck
    mummy to Izzy 2 yrs (BF 14 months)

Mummy to Rosa 5 months (BFing)
    Mummy to Freddie 5 months (Bfing)

Are those things I can get over the counter?

YES! You should definitely treat yourself, even if you don't show symptoms it is still on your skin and you will just pass it right back to your baby if you don't get rid of it on both of you. I'm at your doctor.

What did your doctor prescribe? If it is nystatin liquid, you can apply that to your nipples to treat yourself. It is pretty sticky and uncomfortable, though. You can rinse your nipples in half vinegar, half water after nursing and then put nystatin on there.

You will need to start a strict cleaning regimen as well. Only wear your bras and shirts once before washing and wash in hot water. You can add a cup of vinegar to each load and that will help. If you use pacifiers, bottles, or a pump you'll need to wash them once a day, I boiled mine but I'm not sure that's necessary.

If the nystatin doesn't work (it didn't for my daughter) you might try gentian violet as an alternative treatment. Let me know if you want more info on that.

Good luck! It's a good thing you're nipping it in the bud early!! Thrush can get pretty bad especially when you start showing symptoms.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks norasmommy! She is using nystatin liquid. Should I just apply that to my nipples? I would like to try this to save a trip to my doc.

I have been sterilizing my pump parts daily already.

You can buy an anti fungal cream over the counter (anything that you would use on athletes foot or ringworm.. If it gets internal and you need fluconazole, i think you will have to go to the Dr.. (in the UK u do)
    mummy to Izzy 2 yrs (BF 14 months)

Mummy to Rosa 5 months (BFing)
    Mummy to Freddie 5 months (Bfing)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Thanks norasmommy! She is using nystatin liquid. Should I just apply that to my nipples? I would like to try this to save a trip to my doc.

I have been sterilizing my pump parts daily already.
    Yup, just put it on your nipples. It's really sticky, though, so beware. The good thing is that you don't have to worry about wiping it off before nursing.

Gentian violet worked a lot better for me, but since your doc prescribed it, do the nystatin first. If that doesn't work for you guys or if it gets too messy for you, I definitely recommend the gv.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm adding to this question...

Do you need to wash your nipples before nursing if using antifungal cream?

Where do you get GV?

We've been through 2 rounds of nystatin and i've had 3 wks of fluconazole and the thrush jusu keeps coming back!

I don't know if you have to wash it off prior to nursing but I always did.

You can get gentian violet at a pharmacy, but call around first because it can be hard to find. You don't need a prescription for it.

Do you mean that you have taken the fluconazole and still have it, or you have taken the fluconazole and are getting it again? I would be surprised if you still had it, as fluconazole is often the last resort and a very powerful antifungal. You may have something called vasospasm or Raynaud's. Here is some more info here.

Good luck! HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Well, it got better and came back, I think. See, here are the exact specifics:

Three weeks ago we got thrush so I called the doctor and he called in Nystatin, and then I realized I would need something so I called my doctor and she called in the fluconazole.

I got three weeks of medicine, but she only got two and a half.

Hers didn't really get that much better- her tongue stayed white the whole time. Her clicking during nursing and stuff got better, but not the tongue.

Well, a day or so after she finished her medicine, her tongue started getting whiter again, but I thought it would get better as I finished up my medicine.

It didn't. I took my last dose yesterday, and today she is back to clicking while nursing, plus she is now crying and pulling herself from the breast. And, when I got out of the shower I noticed my nipples were looking rough again like they did when I first noticed the thrush.

So, I think it got better and came back.

I think it could have partly been my fault. I was just thinking and I realized that I had used my pump a week or so ago and not boiled the parts afterward. I used it again the day before yesterday. Maybe that's what brought it back?