Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Much Milk-Conflicting Info

Default How Much Milk-Conflicting Info

Hi All,
    I was trying to find some info on how much milk to leave for my LO's DCP and found some conflicting info.
    Some sources said she would consume about the same amount per day until she's 6 mos, then decrease after solids are introduced. They said the average is 25 ounces a day and that if she eats 8 times a day I can expect each bottle to be a little over 3 ounces (sometimes more sometimes less).
    Other sources said the amount would increase until she's taking up to 8 ounces per bottle. They didn't mention how many ounces per day.
    Does anyone know what is correct? Or have any personal experience they'd like to share? I want to make sure I leave enough and also to package it as efficiently as possible. Right now she's 3 mos and takes 2-3 ounces per bottle, should I expect this to continue until she's 6 mos (other than growth spurts)?
    Thanks!
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!

Default Re: How Much Milk-Conflicting Info

My experience was that my dd slowly increased the amount she would take per bottle as she decreased the number of times she fed per day. I can't give you exact amounts because I don't remember (sorry), but there was also a whoooole lot of variation depending on whether she was having a growth spurt, teething, feeling bad, sleepy, etc.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would pretty much agree with the first one you mentioned. I thought it was so interesting to see how at my dd's daycare, where half the babies were FF and the other half BF, how the BF babies always had 4 oz or less in their bottles while the FF babies always had 4 oz or more! No matter the age even! My dd however never took a bottle at all, so I ended up spending a lot of time at the daycare nursing her, which is how I observed all this!
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

My lo has increased the amount she takes at daycare. Everything I've read and been told by my lc is that they take the same amount of BM until 6 months, but that just isn't the case for us. She started on three 3oz bottles a day (over about 10hrs) in July and is now on three 6oz bottles. She's happy for a few weeks and then apparently starts crying for more when she finishes. I hope it doesn't go up to 8oz! I'm eating into my freezer stash as it is. I was told they usually take 1 to 1.5oz for every hour they're away from you.

Thanks, Everyone! K's DCP had mentioned she seems to want more than the 3 ounces one day and she took 5 the next day when I left extra. She only did that once though. I'm not sure if she'll continue with it or not-she was particularly fussy for those couple days so I'm wondering if it was just a growth spurt. Maybe I'll send it in 4 oz packages and see what happens...I hate to waste the goods!
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ecd View Post
    My lo has increased the amount she takes at daycare. Everything I've read and been told by my lc is that they take the same amount of BM until 6 months, but that just isn't the case for us. She started on three 3oz bottles a day (over about 10hrs) in July and is now on three 6oz bottles. She's happy for a few weeks and then apparently starts crying for more when she finishes. I hope it doesn't go up to 8oz! I'm eating into my freezer stash as it is. I was told they usually take 1 to 1.5oz for every hour they're away from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gelfling View Post
    Thanks, Everyone! K's DCP had mentioned she seems to want more than the 3 ounces one day and she took 5 the next day when I left extra. She only did that once though. I'm not sure if she'll continue with it or not-she was particularly fussy for those couple days so I'm wondering if it was just a growth spurt. Maybe I'll send it in 4 oz packages and see what happens...I hate to waste the goods!
    We hear this a lot here. However it usually has to do with a DCP not being familiar with the way breast milk works. And expecting that BF children needs for milk goes up because that is what happens to formula fed children. Not understanding that breastmilk actually changes to meet a childs' changing growing needs. What Paige said about them taking more at a sitting because they are eating less often can be true, however it does NOT usually indicate the need for MORE food in a 24 hour period. Just more food per feeding because they are eating less often. Push back with knowledge when your DCP suggest you need to MAKE MORE milk. Because two things feed into this incorrect thinking. The 1st is that breastfed children often require more physical interaction from their care providers. Because that is what they crave and are used to from their mother. Often DCP will want to feed a child every time they fuss when really what they are craving is just to be held or cuddled. In fact sometimes when they are "comfort nursing" they are doing it for contact not food. But they can really control their intake at the breast. And not really drink much. However, you can't "comfort feed" from a bottle. And the 2nd issue is that often bottle fed children learn to drink what is offered to them and drink until the bottle is gone rather than self regulate. So just because a Breastmilk baby finishes a bottle does not mean that they NEED all that milk or are hungry. The 1-1.5 oz for every hour away from mother is the rule of thumb. The outside most I would ever send is 2oz for every hour a way. Because you need to think in terms of how that figure relates to the rest of the 24 hour period. most breastfed consume between 24-32 oz a day. The outside most would be about 36oz. Based on the idea of leaving 2oz per hour while at daycare that would suggest that your child needs 48oz a day. That isn't true.
    So while I understand that you want to leave enough and I commend you for that, generally in the case of asking for more food at daycare, as your child's advocate AND for your own peace of mind, the best thing you can do is push back and hold firm. Because the OTHER things that happens as a result of DCP insisting they need more is that women who are successfully breastfeeding and pumping while at work begin to doubt themselves. Fearing they are no longer making enough. And deciding to supplement while away. When you really ARE making enough and DON'T need to supplement. So go in armed with the facts. Good luck. You are a very dedicated Mama!
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; October 31st, 2008 at 09:30 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

We used the "rule of thumb" of baby needing 1 to 1.5 oz for every hour away from mom.

So for 8 hours this means 8 to 12 oz EBM.

For us this really held true. When DS was younger he did about 3 oz at a time and had bottles every couple hours. As he got older, he gradually took larger amounts but less frequently, so the total stayed about the same.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

DD started to daycare at 12wks old and continued to receive EBM until recently. She had always taken 3 4oz bottles. It never changed with age. By the time I felt like she needed more calories during the day it was time for us to start her on solids so she got solids in addition to the 3 bottles.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Using the 1-1.5oz rule, do you count the total amount of hours you'll be gone from the time of the last feeding until you'll be back? LO wakes up @ 8 am and eats. I leave for work at 9. She is fairly consistent in eating every 2.5 hours or so and will take a bottle around 10:30 and again around 1. I get home home at 2:30. Do I count that as 7.5 hours and calculate based on the last feeding or as 6.5 hours since that's how long I'm actually gone? Thanks, again for all the help!
    Megan

I did time from last feeding until we were together again.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)