Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Serious conundrum - pumping question - 5 month old

Question Serious conundrum - pumping question - 5 month old

My ds is now 5 months old, and I have been pumping at work since August. He is in the 80th percentile as far as weight, so I know he is getting enough when he breastfeeds. I have had serious issues with pumping from the start though (I have problems with let-down and end up starting and stopping, starting and stopping the whole time). I am a teacher, so I only have one pumping opportunity, from 12:20-1:10 every day. It takes me that full amount of time to get anywhere from 3-5 ounces. It is a P.I.T.B., but it is a sacrifice I am more than willing to make even if it means giving up my whole planning block.

Here is the conundrum part: In the Spring semester, I will no longer have the same planning. My planning then is going to be from 8:06-9:40. I will have just fed him at 7:00 (last thing I do before I leave home everyday), so that block of time is going to be useless to me. Our lunch is from 12:10-12:45, and the administration's idea is for me to pump and eat at the same time. Ha. I can barely pump alone, much less do anything else at the same time. So I can either eat, or I can pump. Our administration has never been a breastfeeding advocate, so they make no provisions for anyone to cover our classes or anything. I know that going from 7:30 to 4:30 without eating anything is not going to do me any good as far as breast milk production (snacks are out also, except during our planning).

Should I pump the little I'll get in the morning? Should I skip lunch and pump? Should I just plan on going all day and feeding him when I get home that afternoon? I am anticipating some serious discomfort with that option.

What have you all done in the past if you in in similar situation?

Default Re: Serious conundrum - pumping question - 5 month old

You shouldn't have to choose between pumping and eating. There are hands free alternatives, so you should be able to do both. Here is a link with ideas:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Hmmm.I would pump at 9am for like 15 mins and have a healthy snack during the morning planning.

I would also buy a hands free pumping bra like this
    http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/llpahapunubr.html

and also pump during lunch while eating. I know it's hard (I do it as well) but sooo worth it.

BTW-you can also make your own, but I don't know how-someone will chime in with the directions
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hands free won't work for me... I've tried. Like I said, I have to start and stop so often that it would actually take me longer to pump this way. I have to periodically put everything down and stimulate for let down.

Could you pump in the a.m. before your LO wakes up to nurse? What about after he goes to bed? I thinking that this way you can get in a good session or two for the next day's bottles and then pump during your lunch just long enough to relieve engorgement. This way you still have time to eat lunch and stay comfortable but not have to worry about power pumping in order to get enough for the next day.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Lilbirdee - that's kind of what I was thinking also... I just hate to start getting up at three AM again, now that he's finally sleeping through the night, lol.

I can pump about 3 ounces in 15 minutes... it takes me all the rest of that forty minutes to get the other two ounces anyway.

I guess there's always formula to supplement with too. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Could you pump in the a.m. before your LO wakes up to nurse? What about after he goes to bed? I thinking that this way you can get in a good session or two for the next day's bottles and then pump during your lunch just long enough to relieve engorgement. This way you still have time to eat lunch and stay comfortable but not have to worry about power pumping in order to get enough for the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2hayleigh View Post
    Lilbirdee - that's kind of what I was thinking also... I just hate to start getting up at three AM again, now that he's finally sleeping through the night, lol.

I can pump about 3 ounces in 15 minutes... it takes me all the rest of that forty minutes to get the other two ounces anyway.

I guess there's always formula to supplement with too. *sigh*
    Could you start building a freezer stash now so that you have to worry less next semester about how much you get in a session.
    And, yes, there is always formula to supplement, some bm is better than no bm.

You could pump at 9:00 and then at the beginning or end of your lunch so you have time to eat. If you don't have enough for your ds for the next day, you can give him frozen bm, solids, or formula.

I wake up a half hour earlier just to pump. In fact, that's the time I get the most amount because I'm full from all night. Try to pump a little in the morning and again at lunch. You might also consider sneaking a session in at night, once LO is in bed. Building up a freezer stash is not a bad idea either. Hope this helps.

And looking back at your original post and going off of what pp said, don't forget to take into account that by the spring semester (I'm assuming this starts in January) your LO will be 8mos right? And so he'll be taking in solids in addition to the BM. So, while BM should still be his primary nutrition, some moms are able to cut back a little on what they send to DCP because they have DCP offer the meal(s) of solids. Let's say he gets one meal of solids a day you can have DCP offer it at breakfast or lunch instead of you offering it at dinner. That may cut back on what EBM you have to send during the day and free you up to BF him more often when you are together (instead of filling him up on solids at dinner).
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Get a Medela Freestyle!!! $285 at bestbuybaby.com. You can pump & eat (or drive, sweep, type...). It's the best thing I ever bought; I wish I'd gotten it months earlier. No need for an outlet, either - and it weighs only 1lb including the built-in rechargeable battery.

http://www.medelafreestyle.com/
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png