Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wanting to Relactate after months of no milk.....

Default Wanting to Relactate after months of no milk.....

I tried to nurse my daughter for 10 weeks till she got full time breastmilk from a milk bank (same milk they give little sick babies) with sup feedings of formula. (till we found out she had very bad allergies to every kind of formula we tried) After that milk started, she nursed less and less on me. Although i never had a very big supply anyway, only a couple of oz of milk total for 24 hrs. I was pumping ever 2 hours sometimes more, taking herbs, drinking tea and even taking Reglan and nothing helped my supply grow. I was on meds that i couldnt stop taking and they really effected my supply....

Now Sara is starting whole milk, and is off the Milk Banks milk. But ever so often she will "try" or act like she wants to suckle. I am totally dry now. No milk at all. But was wondering if i could after this much time at least build up enough milk for her to be rewarded with when she does suckle. When i mean she "acts" like she wants to nurse, what im saying is...for example when we are in the tub together or shes laying in my arms, she will pinch my nipple a bit or suck, play, suck once or twice, stop and play, suck once or twice, stop and play. so its not actually nursing KWIM?

Anyway ive read alot about relactation and inducing lactation and just really need the support and any ideas from others who have done it...

Thanks yall....and nice to meetcha

Default Re: Wanting to Relactate after months of no milk.....

How old is your daughter?

I am also in the relactation process. My son is almost 5 months old and I completely dried up about 8 to 10 weeks ago. I haven't nursed him since he was 2 days old.

1st - Get yourself a hospital grade pump. You can rent one from you local hospital or babies r us has them too.

2nd- Get that baby to latch whenever she wants. ANY sucking will stimulate milk production so the more she sucks, the better!

3rd - Get yourself some herbs. More Milk Plus was highly recommeded by my IBCLC. Start with herbs and pumping constantly. If that doesn't work, you may benefit from Domperidone or Reglan (I've heard the Dom works better).

4th - Get involved with your local LLL. Contact your leader. They are great for support!

If I think of anything else, I'll come back. Best of luck...

Sara turned a year Aug 2nd...ive got a bunch of Reglan left from when i was taking it before.

thanks a bunch!!!

Are you looking to actually give her milk or simply comfort nurse?

If she is willing to latch, an SNS might be benefical to you.

Can I ask why you were using milk from a milk bank?

Best of luck!

Comfort nursing mostly

She has getting milk from the milk bank because she had allergies to every kind of formula we tried. So she qualified because she needed it to thrive.