Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our weaning story!

Thumbs up Our weaning story!

First I want to share something that i wrote to a friend when we were amidst weaning. I was having a hard time accepting it but its part of our "story"

We have been down to nursing just once at night. Every few days or so, Cooper would wake and cry for milk and point at my shirt. Made me want to cry everytime. Still does just thinking about it.
    This morning, when he woke up for the day, he asked for milk. only this time he was pointing towards the fridge. So i went up and got him a sippy cup of milk and he took it right away and drank some. Usually if I offer the cup, he would get mad.
    I'm guessing he is now associating 'milk' as cows milk and not mommys milk.
    Man, this is so hard! He really has been doing this on his own once I started the Dr Jay Gordon method. I think he was ready. Two nights now, he slept until 3 a.m.-4 a.m. before he woke up and then went right back to sleep for a few more hours. A few weeks ago this kid was up every two hours. My baby is growing up, and its a lot harder on me than I thought it would be. Something we've depended on for 21 months will soon be no more.

I think weaning was so much easier for us, due in part that we would travel a lot to see our family on the weekends. When Cooper was just over a year, I noticed that when we were up north, he wouldnt nurse at all during the day. There was just too much going on. and A lot of the time, he wouldnt nurse during a nap either, but still at nighttime. I thought he would get back to nursing during the day when we got home b/c thats what usually happened. But it didnt. So I realized he did very well with distraction. So he would nurse during the night and when he woke up, nap time and at night before bed. In between, it was very easy to keep him entertained to distract him. Although, he didnt seem to want it anyway, so I really dont think I need to go out of my way to distract him. He really eliminated day time nursing on his own and fast.
    Then when I had my trip away last month, DH said we should use that as an opportunity to night wean him, since he would be with out for a night anyway. So I looked up Dr Jay Gordons method for night weaning, made sure DH read it b/c he never reads anything RE: parenting. And when I got back, thats what we did. And it went so smoothly. I did modify so that I could take a bit longer with each step than he says (3 days per step)Cooper did get mad a few times, but it was so easy to get him back to sleep. I just had to talk to him and let him know i was there, pat his back. I took that as a sign that he was ready. He was nursing at least 5 times during the night some nights more, some less (rarely) and within two weeks he was down to one nursing session. After a week of this, I just didnt offer the breast to see what he would do. Nothing, no fussing, crying, grabbing at me. He literally rolled over and went to sleep when I started rubbing his back.

Eliminating nap time was pretty easy too. He would wake up two or three times during his nap, and i would nurse him back to sleep. one day I just didnt do it, I picked him up and rocked him back to sleep. Or walked him around, or layed next to him and rubbed his back. Just two days later, he was finally sleeping 2 hours straight without waking. No issues with waking since.

I dont know if I was just lucky, or if he was just plain ready.
    I've always had a friend who was one step ahead of me in everything, her son was a few months older. it was nice to have someone who went through it before me so I knew what to expect. Her son weaned just as smoothly, so I have faith BIG TIME in the fact that they wean when they are ready. But for us it did take some gently pushing, but he went with it.
    Every day I think about how much I miss it. But I miss cuddling on the couch and nursing and we havent done that in almost a year. I dont know if its weird that I miss it so much, but I do. I hope with my next child, we can be successful in BF too.

Sweet book i just wrote there...sorry. But i thought if I shared how we did it, it might help someone else too!
    (Thanks Shelly for asking about this. i have been having my moments of sadness about it, and I feel better sharing our experience)

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Default Re: Our weaning story!

Thats a great story Heather. They all wean at different times and it sounds like you knew what was right for Cooper! Way to go momma!

Thanks for sharing Heather.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

TFS Heather. I think we are about ready here, and it's nice to know how things went with you. It's so sad our lo's growing up.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

It definitely sounds like a very gentle weaning.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you so much for sharing....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Congrats to you both on a wonderful weaning experience. I don't know what I would do without you, you're that friend to me who is a few steps ahead with the weaning process.

Enjoy the new adventures with Coop, and of course all of the snuggles and kisses he gives.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for sharing Heather! You are such a great mama and Cooper is so lucky! You know how to truly meet his needs and this sounds like a great experience for both of you (although much harder on you, but that's what was best for him and because you are such a wonderful mama, you knew that and went with it anyway!)

Thank you!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thanks for sharing Heather. And now lets talk about YOU. You say he seems ready and it was a very smooth process for him and because you nudged him along I will assume you too were mentally ready. But how do you feel physically? How are you with out the feel good hormones? And what about your weight? Have you gained or loss since you have finished? Any other changes?

I just recently have had the return of my greasy nose. Prebaby I could (and did) squeeze my nose every day in the AM and get stuff. But as soon as I started nursing DJ it went away to the point of dryness. The oil has started to return to my skin. Indicating that we are nursing less. Have you experienced more moisture in your skin? Or other physical things like this?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Congrats to you both on a wonderful weaning experience. I don't know what I would do without you, you're that friend to me who is a few steps ahead with the weaning process.

Enjoy the new adventures with Coop, and of course all of the snuggles and kisses he gives.
    Thanks Lisa, thanks for always listening

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Thanks for sharing Heather. And now lets talk about YOU. You say he seems ready and it was a very smooth process for him and because you nudged him along I will assume you too were mentally ready. But how do you feel physically? How are you with out the feel good hormones? And what about your weight? Have you gained or loss since you have finished? Any other changes?

I just recently have had the return of my greasy nose. Prebaby I could (and did) squeeze my nose every day in the AM and get stuff. But as soon as I started nursing DJ it went away to the point of dryness. The oil has started to return to my skin. Indicating that we are nursing less. Have you experienced more moisture in your skin? Or other physical things like this?
    So far, weight hasnt changed, I do need to watch what I eat b/c i am not burning those extra calories. But its only been a few weeks, but I am going to keep an eye on my weight.
    I have my moments as far as hormones go. I will say, I seem to have a sex drive after all this time. We've been at it like crazy since I stopped nursing (Sorry, TMI), I really think that breastfeeding/hormones did affect my sex drive big time.
    I feel the same emotionally. I am happy most days, but there are moments when I get weepy, mostly when I think about Cooper. DH and I are good, nothing changed there (well except the sex)
    I've always had oily skin, very prone to blackheads. I am back to washing my face twice a day, I do notice my face feels gross a lot faster. I dont know if that is nursing related or not, but usually my face/skin dries out this time of year and my face hasnt.
    I think because it was so gradual, my body adjusted well. Nothing was sudden, I really wanted to ease into. But for the past six months he was only nursing at night and for nap, so it wasnt like I was going from 8 times a day to nothing, you know?
    Physically the only things I felt were the tender boobs. But its not that bad today. With him being sick the past few days, I really wish we were still nursing. To be honest, I offered to nurse him the other day, and he just smiled and snuggled with me but didnt latch. It was sweet, yet sad at the same time.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!