Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby pulling on nipple and thrashing head, and still hungry

Default baby pulling on nipple and thrashing head, and still hungry

i have a 3 week old baby. we have been breastfeeding relatively well. i believe she is having a growth spurt because she is non-stop hungry. i nursed her for hours. the feeding will be going well, but then she acts angry, clamping down on the nipple and pulling on it and thrashing her head around. i am pretty sure this is because the flow has slowed and its making her mad. i have tried breast compressions, but when the breast is near empty with slow flow she is still pulling and tugging. it really hurts and i had to end her feeding session. i have tried switching sides back and forth but the pulling and tugging continues on both sides.
    i know that the more she feeds, the more milk i'll make. try not to supplement, it might mess up my supply, etc. but how do i stop the pulling and thrashing...its killing my nipples and she seems so angry.
    also she has jaundice so i want to make sure she gets enough. she poops and pees a lot, has gained wt at the last check...so i think my supply is ok.

Default Re: baby pulling on nipple and thrashing head, and still hungry

She's is still jaundiced? Or is it a recent onset?

So the tugging is not at the start of the feeding?

What makes you feel she is 'still hungry'?

Do you have any signs of thrush?

Having asked all that - this link might offer something useful

let us know
    Last edited by @llli*number3; October 29th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She's is still jaundiced? Or is it a recent onset?
    yes-- her bili levels were high day 4-5 after birth. she was admitted to the hospital days 5-6 to go under the lights. her levels are still high --around 10-14 but the doctor says these are "safe" levels and should go down in a couple weeks.

So the tugging is not at the start of the feeding?
    tugging starts after at least 5-10 min into the feeding, so definitely not at the very start.

What makes you feel she is 'still hungry'?
    after i remove her from the breast, she will quickly root around for it again. and will take it again quickly if i give it to her. if i switch her to the other breast she takes the nipple quickly and sucks and swallows.

Do you have any signs of thrush?
    i don't think so

--also i read the article on kellymom...which part exactly will help my situation? thanks!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions...

The link I gave offers some thoughts as to why baby might be pulling off and what you might be able to do about it... as you go lower on the page there is another link to thrush - check it out as well to be sure it's not part of the issue.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks-- my baby isn't pulling off the nipple though --she's tugging and pulling on it... this isn't the same thing, right?

How are YOU doing? Are you getting enough fluids? Are you eating enough calories? My DD went through this around 3 months of age where she acted that very way. I started really upping my water intake as well as taking fenugreek seed pills. It really solved the issue for me. Also make sure you are putting baby to breast often (which it sounds like you are doing)

How is diaper output?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

You're right - I picked up on what you said when I first read the post then got sidetracked and it turned from pulling, to pulling off. Sorry about that.

I'd still check out the thrush info and as well info regarding OALD. Often times babies will clamp down and "tug" to try and regulate flow.

If she is still hungry continuing to feed her 'on cue' is the best thing to do (info with regard to growth spurts and how to help manage frequent nursings.)

How is her diaper output (link to help you check)

Have you had a chance to get in touch with a LLL leader local to you?? (link to find one right below)
    Last edited by @llli*number3; October 29th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson