Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do after one year?

Default What to do after one year?

My son is 11 months old. I plan to continue breastfeeding him for some time still. I'm wondering how to wean him from bottles while he is at day care. Should I continue to pump and have the babysitter give him EBM in a sippy cup, or have her give him whole milk once he is 12 months old? I just didn't know how to proceed. I'm planning on continuing to nurse him and have not cut back on any feedings. He still nurses 6-10 times per day. I guess I'm just wondering what other mothers have done in a similar situation when they decided to continue breastfeeding. Thanks!
    Tara

Default Re: What to do after one year?

I would contine to pump, breastmilk is much beter for a baby than cows milk.
    maybe only take 4 oz of milk in a sippy cup and then he can have more solids and juice at day care. My kids have never been big drinkers unless its hot outside then they like a big sippy of water.
    good luck getting rid of the bottles, cold turkey realy is the best way with bottles!

It's really up to you what you decide to do. Just know that cow's milk is not a necessary part of your baby's diet, now or ever. When I was working, I personally continued to pump breastmilk for my daughter until she was about 14 or 15 months old. But my daughter never took a bottle - I didn't go back to work until she was 10 months old and by then she just started out with a sippy cup.

You may find that if you want to stop giving EBM while you are at work that you may have to slowly transition your son over to cow's milk or whatever other milk you happen to decide on.

Good luck to you!

My DD started refusing bottles at around 10 months old - she'd just wait til I got home from work, lol. But I wanted to mention, about the milk, mine won't take it, no matter what you put in it (chocolate, strawberry, etc). You might want to make the switch from bottles to cup still using EBM, and then once he's used to that, figure out his drink of choice to put in the cup. It took Jillian a LONG TIME, and SEVERAL different types of sippy cups b/f she'd consistently drink from them, lol! Just be patient & let him show you the way. If the other kids at daycare are switching to a cup too I'd imagine that will help too.

GL!

Thank you so much for your replies! My son already drinks juice and water from a sippy cup. I guess I just didn't know how to transition him from taking the EBM from the bottle to the sippy cup. I don't think it will be a problem because the other 3 boys at his sitter's house are 2 years old, so they all drink from cups now, and he's the only one with a bottle. I would love to be able to quit pumping during the day but at the same time, I think I will continue to pump since that is what's best for him! Tara

I was thankful for this post! My daughter will be a year next week. My supply is getting very low, no matter what I do! I was home with her for 8 months and have been pumping for 4. I've recently had to start supplementing. I've been wondering what I'm going to do after a year. I would love to continue pumping, but I only get maybe 8 to 10 oz a day at work now. She still nurses fine in the evening, and A.M. and at least once during the night usually two or three times. She is drinking 3 bottles a day at daycare. She just doubled her birth weight, so that is another concern. (She was 9 lbs at birth.) She is a super picky eater, so I'm not comfortable with just a few ounces a day. How much should she be drinking a day?

Sydney

I'm sure that all will work out fine with the cup. We had to try several types with my son before he would take one. The best one that I and a few friends have found is called NUBY. I get it at Wal-Mart. And they are cheap-only about 1.47 a cup. They have a very soft nipple on them like the bottle does.

While I am here could I please ask for a few suggestions My son will be 15 months old on Valentine's Day. And he BF in the early morning (around 5:30) he will then go back to bed and sleep till about 8:30 or 9am. Then he will Bf and eat breakfast around 9:30am. Then for lunch 1:30pm and dinner 5:30 or 6pm he will either get cows milk or watered down juice. Then he BF again before bedtime 9or 9:30pm. My problem however is that he simply refuses to drink the milk from a sippy cup. He will drink water or juice from a cup like a champ. Is this because he associates milk to a nipple because he BF and gets milk from me?

I am torn, I know that he is needing to get off of the bottle. LIKE NOW. But I am also concerned about him getting enough milk in the day. Should I just let him go cold turkey off of the bottle and hope that he finally will except it? Or what? I am so confused about this. I would love to hear from anyone who may have any suggestions. Thanks
    Last edited by LCsmom; February 10th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.

How much should she be drinking a day?
    Your baby is 12 months old? If so, there really isn't a hard and fast rule on this. But it sounds like in addition to the 8 to 10 oz. per day of expressed breastmilk your baby is also nursing 4-5 times in a 24 hour period, correct? How do you feel your baby is doing? She's not dehydrated or constipated or otherwise showing signs of not getting enough nutrition? If you are truly worried then perhaps you could take measures to increase your pumping output?

LCsMom -- Before I respond directly to your questions, I'd like to see what other mom's have to say in regards to your situation. Perhaps they've got some great suggestions for you on how to gently wean your baby from his bottle. Just know that cow's milk is NOT a necessary part of your child's diet

Since your baby will be a year soon she doesn't need that much milk as before. She should be eating more solids and drinking less milk by the time she's a year. About 12oz of whole milk or breastmilk a day. Your doing great on your pumping 8-10oz a day is good, don't worry. If you have to supplement she will soon be a year so start her with a bit of whole milk, she's probably ready for it. Maybe mix it with her infant cereal, then maybe give her about 2oz of whole milk to introduce it to her. This is how I introduced it to my 13 mo. old and he did great. He has no problems now taking milk in a cup.