Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping enough???

Default pumping enough???

Hi all! New to the forum, but have read through so many of the posts and think it's wonderful how everyone is helping each other.

I have a 12 week old and just returned to work this week. I'm pumping 2 times at work and don't know if it's enough. My supply seems a bit low today. I barely got 12 oz., which is what my daughter takes while I'm away, but I'm nervous I might not have enough milk on somedays. I have a frozen stash, but I don't want my supply to decrease.

Also, how do I know when to increase the amount my daughter has at each feeding?

Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: pumping enough???

You should pump for at least every replaced feeding. I don't know how long your work day is to say if 2x is enough or not. I pumped 3x for day at that point for an 8 hour work day.

How many oz does LO drink now? Does she consistently finish the whole bottle? I had a big eater and he only ever drank 6 oz at a time. One benefit of BM is that is changes it's makeup as baby ages and therfore it's nutritional needs change (formula stays the same so a older baby has to drink more).
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi I am in the same boat as you and recently posted about this. I pump at least 3x during 8 hour work day and get anywhere from 13-18oz per day. I too am worried about not making enough, so today, I pumped 4x at work, just to get a little more. Maybe you could pump a couple of extra times a few times a week so you don't have to get into freezer stash. It does feel like it takes a chunk out of your day if you do 4x though. I have been giving my LO 4 oz. for quite some time and just *today* realized that he needs more. I gave him 5 oz and he sucked them down and became much less fussy. I guess he was hungry- so you might just give her more and see if she takes it all- if so I would stay with that amount. You might check out my post, its called "How Much?" and a lot people shared how much they pump at work. Its good just to get a reference of what everyone does I think. I have a whole story about " how to know when to increase the amount at each feeding" if you wanted to know I'd be glad to share. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the advice. I'm out of the house for 8 hours a day. I BF and pump before I leave for work and get about 4-5 oz. Then I pump 2x at work and get about 6-8 oz. total. I BF all evening long. Lo has 3 bottles/day, 4oz. each and usually finishes them. I had read quite a bit about pumping at every missed feeding, but it's just hard to do at work, so I decided I would pump once before I left home and 2x at work. I'm pumping exactly what LO needs for the day, but was concerned about not having enough if she wanted more.

stuartjr, would you share your story about how to know when to increase the amount at each feeding.

I think if you are pumping before you go to work, that should be enough to keep your supply up and make enough for next day. Some days though I notice that I just pump less for some reason and others I pump more. I have only been back at work for 3 weeks, so I know things can adjust. I would definitely say you are pumping enough.
    y story is, is that My LO started to scream and get VERY fussy exactly 2 hours after he fed. He has never been a fussy baby, so this reallly confused me. He had been on a 3 hour feeding schedule for quiet some time and had done very well on it. I took him to the dr. and tried to think of everything that could be causing this, gas, reflux, stomach problems, but nothing worked. This happened for about a month and a half until my mom brought up the fact that he was basically sucking down his bottles very fast and that he may need more. I had been sending 3 bottles a day, each 4 oz. He never cried at the end of a feeding and always seemed satisfied, so it never occured to me to "up" his ounces. So I finally sent 5 oz. bottles and he ate every bit of the 5 oz. and didn't fuss AT ALL the whole day AND finally took long naps like he used to before this all started. So basically 4 oz. was not enough to get him through to 3 hours. I felt so bad, but hopefully you can learn from my mistake. I would just say watch for any behavior change and when you think she couldn't be hungry, she might be. Hopefully you don't have to get to that point though. Maybe just try giving her a bigger bottle and see how she does with it. Also, I think she will just be able to let you know that she needs more- if you are able to read the signs (unlike me). I feel like this whole "motherhood" thing is just a bunch of trial and error. Anyway, I hope this has helped at least a little bit. I hate to ramble on about my problem when we are here to try to help you.

When I was pumping at work I pumped 3x's a day for a total of 12-14oz at the end of the day. My DD always took 3 4oz bottles and I never increased the amount. She didn't seem to need it until around 6 mos which is when we started solids so we never did increase the amount.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I have heard that baby boys can sometimes eat more, so maybe since you have a girl, she won't need to increase oz. for awhile.

Thank you all for your advice. I am feeling a lot less stressed about pumping more milk.

stuartjr, I appreciate you sharing your story. I will have to ask MIL, who's taking care of my LO, if she notices any behavior change or if LO seems like she's still hungry after a feeding (then of course I'll have to worry about getting more milk again).

Thanks again.

I'm sure everything will work out. I stress out a lot too about doing things "just right" but sometimes I just have to let go and realize that, hopefully, my body knows what its doing and can keep up. I am now at the point of hoping I can pump enough each day to keep up with the new 5 oz. bottles. I write down each time I pump how much I get in a little notebook so I can have an idea of what my supply is doing. (yes I am a little OCD) Your story just sounds so similar to mine (my mom and my MIL watch my LO)- we'll have to keep each other updated. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    I have heard that baby boys can sometimes eat more, so maybe since you have a girl, she won't need to increase oz. for awhile.
    That may be a wives tale-I have a boy and he was 10 lbs at birth-now he's a 30 lb 1 YO and still only takes 4-6 oz per feeding. Also keep in mind that she mentioned that (stuartjr) she had him on a schedule, I would recomend still feeding on demand and throwing the schedule out the window, it's a better indicator of how much LO really wants to eat, Also she mentioned that LO was hungry 2 hours after eating and that is totally normal!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language