Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need dental work - should I wean?

Default Need dental work - should I wean?

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me because I'm having trouble finding any info on this subject. I have a cracked tooth/filling that needs to be fixed. It's one of the old amalgam fillings. I am not in any pain. Is it ok to have dental work done while breastfeeding? Is it safer to just leave the tooth as is until my son is weaned? My son is just over 1 year old and eats lots of different foods. He mostly nurses for comfort now in the morning and night so he's not getting tons of breastmilk but I'm a little nervous about the removal of the filling because I've read that mercury gets released. Does anyone have any info or had a similar experience? My son and I are not quite ready to completely wean but I don't want to hurt his health because of dental work either. Please help!!

Default Re: Need dental work - should I wean?

Well, I have no scientific references about the mercury you are worried about, I have never heard of that, and I also have some of the old-school amalgam fillings... however, I am breastfeeding and I have had dental work done while BFing (and while I was pregnant), including getting local anesthetic (numbing medicine) to have a filling done. In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to wean your LO or wait for the dental work... your LO should be fine if you just go ahead and get it fixed.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I too had a filling come off and part of my tooth broke. I actually nursed my baby in the chair. All I got were some novocain (sp?) shots and my Dr. said it wouldnt be in my milk.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Thank you so much! It makes me feel better to hear from someone who is breastfeeding and has had dental work done. I will go ahead with it : )

I've had three amalgam fillings replaced while nursing. They recommend using a a few precuationary measures in the link below.

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/53/672.html

I considered postponing the work until DD had weaned, but that could be a long time from now and I didn't want to risk a cracked tooth.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

good link Karen!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

This information may be helpful to you.
    Good luck - I hate going to the dentist!

Make sure your dentist knows you're nursing, but I think you should be fine.

FWI for future reference, if you are ever worried about getting any kind of anesthesia in your milk (though you should be able to nurse right after most anesthesia), then you can always pump and dump rather than wean Congrats nursing for this long

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I just wanted to add that although you should tell your dentist you are nursing, don't expect him/her to know what's safe while breastfeeding. I had a bad dentist appt. where he injected me about 7 times trying to get me numb, then sent me home saying, "Don't nurse for 2 days." I knew he was crazy so I called my local leader and we looked up all the anesthetics he had used and the dosages, and I was clear for nursing. Just a warning!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.