Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did I make the wrong choice?

Exclamation Did I make the wrong choice?

I want to keep breastfeeding my 4 mo old, but I am running into some serious snags. I have not been able to have regular pumping times at work - and believe me, there is NO compromise in this situation - I've tried. We have no laws in MA about pumping, either, I've looked into it.

Anyway, now b/c of irregular pumping during the day, and oversupply issues, I have severely plugged ducts - am in pain - and am wondering if I have the beginning stages of mastitis.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I stop pumping during the day so that I can have regular feedings in the evening, night, and morning? Do I wean completely? What do I do on the weekends? Or should I try to push for regular pumping times?

Anyone??

I'm sooo frustrated!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Did I make the wrong choice?

That is so frustrating! I have somewhat BTDT-there have been some days when I have been super busy at work and only able to pump once and my breasts were like boulders by the end of the day.
    I've also had mastitis a few times (thankfully not with this baby). What are your symptoms other than the plugged ducts? Plugged ducts, if left untreated/plugged, can lead to mastitis.
    I would definitely push for regular pumping times if at all possible.
    What have you tried to deal with/prevent plugged ducts? Are you doing anything to reduce your OS?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Can you get a note from your doc stating that you NEED to have regular pumping times because of the probability of mastitis?

Yes, I could get a note. not sure if it would help... small, private school with little to no substitutes, preps, etc.

As for the plugged ducts, I have been in touch with my excellent LC. I am going to start taking lecithin, am pumping after nursing, have tried all the hot compress ideas (that didn't work) and am going to do the hot/cold combo. once a day (my lc suggested it). If none of that works, I will try an herbal compress. If that doesn't work, I suppose, I'll have to go on antibiotics.

I don't feel sick, but the plugs are painful.

I don't have red lines, but I have red patches on my breasts where the plugs are. Thanks for your thoughts... It is SUPER frustrating!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Did you see these links for more ideas?

For me, a hot, wet washcloth applied for about 5-10 minutes before nursing/pumping, then massaging the plug during nursing/pumping, would usually work out the plug after a couple of go-rounds.

I would soak a washcloth in hot water, put it on my breast in the area of the plug, and wrap a dry towel over it so it wouldn't get water everywhere, then remove the towel etc. and nurse after several minutes.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Ouch mama! i'd say first choice would be to push for regular pumping and pp had a great idea about the doctor's note. Maybe you could compromise & pump for shorter times except for your lunch break? Especially if people you work with take smoke breaks, I would definitely push this as it is best for your & baby's health. You might also remind them, bf babies are less likely to get sicj which means less likely you'd have to miss work. That being said, if it doesn't work out, I'd still nurse when you can, it doesn't have to be all or nothing
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Check out the Health Resources and Services Administration, a division of the Dept. of Health. They have great info you can give your employer. Go to http://www.hrsa.gov/ > Order Publications > Publication Search > Search by Keyword "Breastfeeding". You want "The Business Case for Breastfeeding. Steps for Creating a Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite: Bottom Line Benefits [Kit]". Be sure to get the kit. The description on the site says "This kit contains a series of materials designed to create breastfeeding friendly work environments. It includes booklets for business and human resource managers to use to support breastfeeding employees and an employee’s guide to breastfeeding and working. The kit also provides an outreach and marketing guide and a tool kit with reproducible resources and a CD-ROM. Limit one per requester."

Apparently I didn't see that "one per requester" line. I ordered ten of every bfing publication they had. Everything is free, and they paid $50 to ship it to me! Our tax dollars at work.

Thanks ladies for all the great advice...

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months