Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old...want to start weaning. Need help!

Post 9 month old...want to start weaning. Need help!

Thank you for taking the time to read this. This is my first post. I am looking for support. My beautiful little girl is 9 months old, and I have been very fortunate to be at home with her during this time. It is very possible that I might be going to work soon and am worried of the separation anxiety from both of us. (First time mom...can you tell?) I have tried in the past to get my girl to take a bottle...she won't do it. I am introducing a sippy cup with water and there are times she will take it, but not always. I have given in to her and let her have some from mommy's cup. I know...probably just broke rule #1. But since I am home with her...I never really thought it was bad. I don't want to give up nursing all together, just want her to take a bottle or sippy cup incase I have to go back to work and also a little me time would be nice too. My DH misses date night! So my dilemma is this. How do I pump and get her to take a feeding from me without her going ballistic? Hubby works 14-15 hour days. Not an option to have him help during the day. I know the longer I wait, the harder it will be. I truly love the bonding time I have had with her and part of me doesn't want to give that up. However, I don't want a nursing 3 year old either! Any suggestions...will take all please. But be gentle...
    Thanks!
    Katrina

Default Re: 9 month old...want to start weaning. Need help!

Katrina, ! Can you give me more details (maybe I'm just too tired) Do you want to wean or are you wanting to pump and build up a stash prior to returning to work? If you want to build up a freezer stash, it's best to do it little by little, either by pumping for 10 mins or so after several nursings per day building oz by oz, or you can pump one time per day-usually if LO sleeps for several hours and you can pump mid-sleep so as not to disrupt nursing.

As for the cup, that's totally fine, some kids only drink from open cups-no sippys required. You will be able to intergrate cows milk if you want (provided you get the okay from pedi) in 3 months so you will be a little more "free" to go on a date with DH etc. They decrease the need for nursing.

I'll check back to see if you have other questions-I may have read you wrong.

BTW-Nursing a 3 year old sounds like a good thing if mama and baby want
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't see a problem with a regular cup either. My daughter never really took to the sippies and has been pretty good with a regular cup. I'm not sure what to tell you regarding getting her to take a bottle, other than perhaps giving her some trial time away from you with another caregiver and see if she will take the bottle from someone else. SOmetimes they won't take it from mommy because they know the "real deal" is in there somewhere. Depending on how many hours you will be working per day, you might be able to have her caregiver feed her solids during the time you are gone and catch up with nursing before and after work- that way you could avoid the bottle altogether.

I'd also encourage you not to wean completely, you can definitely still nurse when you are together. And if you do decide to wean, you will still need to give your lo formula until she is 1, which would still require a bottle.

Good luck! Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more suggestions about giving a bottle, but in the meantime, try giving her breastmilk in a regular cup. It won't hurt anything.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It sounds like you're having a tough time. I went through similar, but slightly different issues when I went back to work (part time.)
    I would start going out for a couple of hours, leaving DH home to feed your LO (when you're both around.) Pump some milk and leave him with the bottle. I found that my DD would start taking it if she was hungry enough. At 9 months your LO is probably eating some food, right? Maybe if you can figure it out, you can leave your care provider with pumped milk in a bottle as well as plenty of food.
    When my sister went back to work, my niece (who was 10 months) also refused both a bottle and cup. My sister's husband just fed her lots of food and plenty of water-rich fruits and veggies. Once my sister got home from work, it was a nurse-a-thon, but she preferred this for a few months rather than weaning before my niece turned a year old.
    I'm happy to report that my niece is now a perfectly healthy 9 year old, so this arrangement was fine.
    I would, though, keep both sippy cups and regular cups around. One that worked for me was not a sippy cup, but a cup with a silicone straw. DD LOVES drinking out of those! I got mine at Babies R Us and Target, I think. Don't worry - if you keep filling them with water and leaving them out, she'll start using them eventually!
    Another thing to try is mixing breastmilk with food - like cereal - for the care provider to spoonfeed. Does your DD take food from a spoon?
    Sorry if this isn't very well written, by the way, I'm writing this in between games with DD!
    I hope this helps!
    Last edited by @llli*estelas.mama; October 29th, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Post Re: 9 month old...want to start weaning. Need help!

ladies!
    Thanks for the advice. But to clarify, I do not want to give up breastfeeding all together. I just want my LO to take a bottle or cup with my milk without refusing it. It's like norasmommy said, she knows the real deal is in there somewhere!
    Thanks again!

You have some great advice already from the LLLadies so far!

Some advice RE: a bottle
    She might not take a bottle from you. I think thats pretty common, she knows that you've got the goods right there, why would she take the bottle
    Try leaving the house and leave hubby with a bottle/cup and see what happens. I dont think just leaving the room works, she can still smell you!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamakat View Post
    ladies!
    Thanks for the advice. But to clarify, I do not want to give up breastfeeding all together. I just want my LO to take a bottle or cup with my milk without refusing it. It's like norasmommy said, she knows the real deal is in there somewhere!
    Thanks again!
    I really think that once she is with her caregiver and she is hungry she will take the bottle (or cup or whatever). It may be a tough few first days, but those are gonna be tough anyway (for both of you). Definitely keep offering it in different ways- bottle, cup, sippy, straw and see if she eventually takes one but if she doesn't take it from you, don't despair. She won't let herself starve without you and she will eventually take in food or breastmilk from her caregiver one way or the other.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If she'll drink from a regular cup go with that!! She might do really well with a cup and a straw. I wouldn't even bother with bottles at 9 months.
    No reason that babies can't go from breast to cup!

I agree with the other's that taking your milk from a bottle/sippy/cup while you are there may never happen!! I'd keep nursing and deal with daycare when ya get there. Keep offering water in a cup to try it out, but take it easy on you guys!