Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

My daughter is 2 months old now, and we have had quite a difficult time with bfing. When she was born I used a nipple shield, then I was told I had thrush, and now yesterday I went to a new lc because the one I had was not helping. The new lc said I have oversupply/oald.
    I am just so confused. I am having bad nipple pain and blanching when she nurses, which the lc said is because she is clamping down to slow the flow. She does not have green poops, they are mustard yellow and kind of watery with no curds or seedy stuff. Can babies still have yellow poop and the issue is still oversupply? Also, she gulps during feedings and squirms a lot when I am trying to latch her on. She seems sort of congested, which the lc said goes with the os/oald. She said I have nipple trauma and that is why it hurts. I also have a painful letdown. I want to scream if my husband even comes near the nips. Ah!
    So what I am asking is, does all of this sound like os/oald issues? The Lc suggested letting her latch on how she wants by skin to skin contact and just letting her find the nipple. She said to nurse partially lying down, to apply warm compresses after nursing and to block feed. I have a few questions about all of this. My daughter has a shallow latch, so do I still need to continue working on getting her to latch deeper? And how do I do that?
    How do I position her when nursing? I have been reclining on the couch with pillows behind me with her kind of in the cradle hold but more on top of me. It seems to squish my nipple kind of funny and the latch is weird. Also, I know this sounds stupid, but I am really kind of afraid of block feeding. I am afraid that my supply will go crazy (one boob will be huge and the other floppy). I have been feeding her on one side whenever she wants to nurse for about 4 hours at a time, but this is hard because my nipples really hurt so it hurts to have her constantly nursing one side. I have read in a few places that you can just offer one side only during nursings- would this be better to try first? The lc said that the watery yellow poops are probably her not getting enough hindmilk.
    Sorry for rambling, I am just scared and confused. I have made so many posts in the last two months, and keep thinking our issues are one thing then another, so I hope I can figure out what's going on. I feel like we will never be bfing normally and pain-free. I have said I am ready to quit so many times, but I never do because I want to continue. I am just really miserable. Thanks to anyone who listens...

Default Re: Confused

I had OALD/OS with DS and it sounds almost exactly like your situation. This is what worked for me:
    as far as block feeding, I didn't watch the clock. I just offered one breast for two feedings in a row then switched for the next two.
    I never did do any different positioning, I mainly used football hold since that was easier and he had the best latch that way
    At first I would let my letdown spray into a towel then relatch him so maybe that would work for you too? I noticed an improvement in about a week.

As far as lopsided breast, I didn't really have that problem. When I did notice one side was rock hard I would hand express just enough milk to get a letdown so I would feel better, but not enough to tell my body to make more milk.

As for the shallow latch, I would keep trying to work on that since that is probably the cause for such severe nipple pain. Look up Dr. Jack Newmans asymetrical latch, that worked for us with DD.

Good for you for stick with BFing. You're going through a lot right now but you'll get through it. Your daughter is very lucky to have a mama who works so hard to give her what is best Have faith, you'll figure it all out eventually and some day you'll look back and marvel at all you've been through to continue to BF your precious baby

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Firstly dont feel sillt about posting up here...Thats what thr forums are for. I dont have a lot of time so will just pop a few links up and hopefully som wother ladies can fill in the details...
    Biological nurturing position

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/Pages/howtodoit.html
    Jack newman latch vids. See the ones First Latch on the right hand side....

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Good luck and...try not to stress.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Thank you. I have a few more questions. Before I started the new position and block feeding 2 days ago, my LO was nursing pretty much every 2-3 hours. It was fairly consistent. She is also a very happy, content baby. Now she is nursing almost constantly, and very erratically, and she is so cranky! It seems like she never gets a full tummy now!
    Also, the reclining position is very awkward for me, and I feel like her latch is very poor. Any suggestions? My nipples hurt even more now. I long for the day when I am not going to be in pain. I really want to get there...

Maybe other moms can chime in on this particular thing I'm going to say, but with all that is going on and everything you have to worry about, I would say that trying to do some weird nursing position is probably the thing you can forget about for now. In other words, just nurse in the position you feel most comfortable with. I did not struggle with OS/OALD, but I recall in the beginning that it was VERY difficult for me to nurse in certain positions, and I hated the football hold, and on and on. We kind of had to do it a certain way, with a pillow, and the pillow had to be a certain way, with him basically lying on his side in front of me or it just wasn't comfortable. If the positioning is making things too stressful, just nurse in whatever position is most comfortable for you right now. The lying down position can be tricky at first until you're used to it. And if you're having latching issues to begin with, the main thing is to make sure the latch is good and if that means you have to be in a certain position, just use the best one for you.

Hopefully someone with more experience can comment on whether the positioning is absolutely critical here, but from what I understand it's a more minor part of solving the problem.

Just had a few more thoughts -

Have you looked at www.kellymom.com and read the pages there on OS/OALD? It is a GREAT website and is referred to often on these boards. I can't remember if I posted about this before or not.

From what I know, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to really see the maximum amount of improvement from the block feeding strategy. Your body and baby need to adjust.

I am not sure why she is more fussy and does not seem as content now. Maybe it is a growth spurt and doesn't have anything really to do with the block feeding. If she is getting more hindmilk (which is good) with the block feeding and isn't having to deal with the OALD so much anymore, she theoretically should be more content. Or, maybe it is actually a good sign that she wants to nurse constantly - maybe she likes it more now that she doesn't have to struggle as much!!!!

Did the LC have any ideas to help with the poor latch? Are you still using the nipple shield? Have you had her checked for tongue tie? If she is still having trouble with latching, you really need to rule out tongue tie. Your pedi can look into this or refer you to another doctor who can. Perhaps she just needs more time to practice off the nipple shield.

Sorry to be so wishy-washy but just wanted to get you some immediate help here and some more things to think about. Keep up the good work! If I recall, her actually nursing every 2-3 hrs is a major improvement from when she wouldn't nurse at all!

just wanted to say your doing a great job! your LO is so lucky to have such a dedicated mama
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Sorry you are having so much trouble Mama!! Good for you for hanging in there!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliesmum View Post
    She does not have green poops, they are mustard yellow and kind of watery with no curds or seedy stuff. Can babies still have yellow poop and the issue is still oversupply?
    Yes. My daughter is 2.5 months old and we've been struggling with OS/OALD since she was about 6 weeks. She doesn't poop very frequently, only about once a week, but when she does it is usually a mustard color, not green. Sometimes it's seedy, but sometimes it's not. So nothing to worry about here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliesmum View Post
    Before I started the new position and block feeding 2 days ago, my LO was nursing pretty much every 2-3 hours. It was fairly consistent. She is also a very happy, content baby. Now she is nursing almost constantly, and very erratically, and she is so cranky! It seems like she never gets a full tummy now!
    Is she getting close to the 3 month mark? If so, I bet she is starting to go through her 3 month growth spurt. My daughter used to nurse every 3 hours but in the past 5 days or so she's wanted to nurse about every 1.5 hours., and I'm pretty sure she's headed for a spurt.

As for your nipple pain, have you tried APNO? I had thrush at the beginning of my BFing and that caused severe nipple trauma for me -- a lot of cracking and bleeding -- and the cracking still hasn't cleared up totally because DD is always nursing. But I did get APNO from a compounding pharmacy about 30 mins. from my home and it's REALLY helped. I've been using it for over a month now and my nipples are finally starting to heal up completely.

Good luck with this, and God bless!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!