Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HospitalGrade Pump vs. Pump-In-Style

Default HospitalGrade Pump vs. Pump-In-Style

Hello everyone, I am new to this and looking for some advice. I am a first-time mom to a 4mo.(today ) girl. I breastfed for the first 2 months but after that she started eating about every 4hrs. so I decided to pump so I wouldn't lose my milk supply since she didnt eat often. So now I've been just pumping every 3-4hrs and get about 4oz each time. She wants more now so I've been adding formula after her regular feedings. I use a Medela Pump-In-Style pump and was wondering if renting a Hospital Grade pump would help. Or what about the PersonalFit Breastshields from Medela?... I think I might need the smaller size. Everything costs $$ but I'm willing to try anything in order to bring up my milk supply, I would like to give her breastmilk until she's 1.

Also... What is power pumping? and fennel seed?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me

Default Re: HospitalGrade Pump vs. Pump-In-Style

The hospital grade always worked better for me, but then I know a lot of mamas have good luck with the PIS. I guess it just depends.

Power pumping is ten minutes on, ten minutes off for one hour.

Fennel can help with letdown with the pump. Some mamas bodies respond differently to the pump and letdown can be harder to achieve. I personally take fennel for that. I think it has helped a lot.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: HospitalGrade Pump vs. Pump-In-Style

Thanks for the quick reply, Hillary! Should I also be pumping more often than 3-4hrs? will that help? I usually don't have a problem with a letdown, but I only get one... I see that some people get more than just one. Is there a way to make that happen?