Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: From OS to LS, how to get supply back

Question From OS to LS, how to get supply back

I started with exclusively pumping on Medela Hospital grade until LO was 10 weeks. After I started nursing, I always had OS. It took several months to get comfortable. At 7 mo LO started getting distracted, nursing shorter etc. Then I introduced a couple of bottles, to give me a little free time. I was nursing four times a day, then LO decided he only would nurse once, or twice a day, and my supply plumeted. He has been going through this thing where he doesn't want to nurse at all, which has gotten worse than when he was just distracted and barely nursing. I could tell from my supply decreasing that he was not nursing near as long, and was concerned about his intake. I introduced formula, and he got sick and had an ear infection. I think this is the culprit, he has never been sick before, and he is now 8 1/2 mo.

So, I want to get him back to the breast, but we are having issues, so I am trying to pump. Yesterday I pumped four times. Today, he has nursed once and I have already pumped twice. I am going to do so again at noon. When I used to exclusively pump, I pumped 6 times during the day, and once at night because I couldn't sleep comfortably. I produced 40-45 oz a day. Now I would be happy with 15-20. I don't know why I can't get supply up at all with the double pumping. In Sept, Dh had surgery, and I pumped twice instead of nursing that day, and my supply went through the roof. What has happened? I am so nervous about going overkill on pumping, I don't want to be OS like before! Where is the happy medium?
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Default Re: From OS to LS, how to get supply back

You are at a very typical time that supply can change drastically. I always had a ton of milk...had visions of all the milk bank donations I was going to make....then with work, and nursing strike, etc., I still struggle every day.

Here are some of the things that I do.

1. Try not to stress
    2. Oatmeal every day
    3. Galactagogues: Fenugreek, alfalfa, fennel
    4. Power Pumping: ten minutes on, ten minutes off for an hour. same time every day (i do this about once a month for a week)

Do you still have the same hospital grade pump?

Hope some of that helps mama! GL!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Still discouraged. I have nursed once today and pumped three times. I am only getting 1 - 1 1/2 oz. I have to pump like four times to even make one bottle. I just don't understand. I did eat oatmeal today though. I am giving this until Friday to see any improvement, otherwise, I am going back to nursing in am and pumping only at bedtime. PS I have a Medela PISA now.

I have a cold, that LO gave me, could this effect supply?
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Yes, it might be the cold. So try and take care of you. I know my pumping output dropped drastically when my period was about to make an appearance too. Check out this link for some extra tips. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09