Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: All but weaned then changed mind

Default All but weaned then changed mind

My 10 week old was EBF but wasn't latching well from the start. There was no LC on the weekend I delvered so the nurses starting pushing formula the second we noticed a problem & that was the beginning of the end. I eventually stopped trying to nurse her & switched to formula & pumped once a day for 4 oz. Last weeke I decided to stop pumping altogether as i returned to work Full-time this week. Two day of no pumping and I changed my mind. I pumped and got 4 oz. I tried latching her a few times. Sometimes she latches, sometimes she screams the best was a 10 minute suck. She gets frustrated because my supply has dwindled.

Here's the 411:
    oatmeal every day for breakfast
    Lansinoh electric I take to work
    Ameda Elite rental at home
    More Milk Plus started on Sunday afternoon 2 capsules 3x per day
    Trying to pump as often as I can but my work schedule varies so i will not be able to pump at the same times every day.

Questions:

If I only have 15 or 20 minutes at work to pump will it have any effect? Even if I don't get anything? It's lately taking me a long time for anything to come out. This morning I double pumped with the Ameda for like 25 minutes & got 1 oz each breast.

Is it realistic to think I can do this working full time?
    What is the best way to try to get her to latch? Is any amount of time latched progress?
    Should I get a SNS & should I use formula with it or only try to put BM in it (have very little frozen)?
    Should I go to LLL meetings?

Thanks so much in advance.

Default Re: All but weaned then changed mind

Anybody? To top it off now I am sick. My supply doesn't seem to be increasing but what I am getting is coming in less time. I guess that's progress.

Questions:

If I only have 15 or 20 minutes at work to pump will it have any effect? Even if I don't get anything? It's lately taking me a long time for anything to come out. This morning I double pumped with the Ameda for like 25 minutes & got 1 oz each breast.

Is that all you'll get per day?

Is it realistic to think I can do this working full time?

Yes you can do this - many before you have

What is the best way to try to get her to latch? Is any amount of time latched progress?

Indeed. When she does latch - how long will she stay on and when she won't - do you notice a pattern of it being late at night, right when you come home etc?

Should I get a SNS & should I use formula with it or only try to put BM in it (have very little frozen)?

I'd use BM whenever you can... but using an SNS at all should be very helpful

Should I go to LLL meetings?

YES and call a leader before you go so she knows you're coming and what your troubles are and see if she has anything to suggest now

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

An SNS will give the baby some instant gratification if the flow is too slow for her to want to stay latched. It also will give your breasts extra stimulation to make more milk. I am using one right now. I use both BM and formula in it as my supply is too low to meet all of my LO's needs. I usually don't mix BM and formula in it for a feed, b/c I do not want to throw away any BM. I work too hard for every drop. So some feeds are just formula and some just BM.

It sounds like you are doing lots of good things to increase your supply. You mention that the latch was not right from the start. Is it better now? Can you have a LC or LLL leader check it for you in person? A latch that is not right can have a detrimental effect on supply. You are working so hard, it would be good to cover all bases. IMHO, yes! go to a LLL meeting! You will find support and encouragement to help keep you going! You are doing great. You can do this mama! The work is worth it! Keep us posted...
    2001 2004 2008