Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food and infection??

Default Food and infection??

From the start dd and I have had a rough time. We had a latch issue, infections, and soreness for the first 4mo. DD is now 6 mo and just started on cereal and some veggies. Within days of starting her on foods my nipples were very sore. So I stopped feeding her foods and my nipples started to feel better. A week or so later I started her back on the foods and developed the same problem. This time I used an antibiotic ointment (suggested by a LC) on my nipples and that helped, but as soon as I stopped using the ointment the sorness came back. Could foods cause a bacterial infection on my nipples? Is there any connection between the sorness and the food?

Tamie
    mom to colin 3yrs-bf 1yr, Rory 6mo-still bf
    Last edited by rory26; August 14th, 2006 at 06:57 AM.

Default Re: Food and infection??

is your pain itching or burning? that might be thrush and then you and baby should both be treated.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...bMar00p10.html

did you get engoraged? Sometimes if mom is engoraged or more full the baby changes her latch and then you will get sore nipples.

It is more of a stinging sensation. I have had thrush with ds and dd and it doesnt feel like that. The nipple looks good and her mouth looks okay too. I havent been engorged either. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by rory26; August 14th, 2006 at 06:56 AM.

humm if you already know what thrush feals like.. I don't know
    I thought that I had read that some foods will do that to mom but I couldn't find it in my information.
    if you introduce foods again and get sore then I guess you'll know.
    are there allergies in your family? or skin problems?
    are you using cream that has to be removed before nursing? that can irritate and cause more trouble.
    you could call your local leader and ask her for help...
    are you maybe pg? I know mine got realy sore when I was pg and still nursing my older child. I know with a 6 month old you don't want to hear that..
    how about cycles? have you started yet? I know some women get sore around the time thier cycles start.
    is the baby teething? that can cause bad latch and then nipple get sore.
    and sometimes when they are teething they want to nurse more and that an cause soreness.
    i hope you can figure out whats wrong and fix it.
    andrea

Thank you for trying to help me find a solution, it is greatly appreciated!
    I reintroduced foods about a week ago and the nipple pain returned with the return of the foods. I even changed the foods I was giving her. The only allergy in the family is that my ds has eczema. Im using the mupirocin ointment, part of the all purpose nipple ointment solution. It doesnt have to be removed before nursing. I do not have any reason to believe that I am pg. I havent started my cycle back yet either. Dd is teething and nursing frequently but that didnt cause soreness when we were off the foods. Could the way she is eating foods cause sucking problems when I nurse? Not so much the latch but maybe her tongue? It almost feels like she is hitting the end of the nipple with her tongue making it very sensitive (stinging). The only problem with that theory is that it tends to be only on the left side. My right side is almost always pain free. Confused and still in pain