Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinky gas and no poop!!!!!

Question Stinky gas and no poop!!!!!

Hello there. I am a new poster here looking for some sensible thoughts on this one.

My son is 11 weeks old tomorrow…. Since 8 weeks his pooping has dropped considerably. He went 3 days suddenly .. then 7 days.. then 7.. now 11 days. I know that BF babies do that and that isn’t the problem

He seems bothered by it really bad at times and not t all at other times. Sometimes he SCREAMS and then farts and is OK….. not great but OK. But EVERY fart he has stinks.. I don’t mean cute stink I mean really gross . And of course I can’t escape them.

He is a great eater.. he eats every 2 hours during the day and gets lots. He is a very healthy 14 lbs…. LOL…. He only eats of one breast because I produce VERY well. I have another son that I BF as well the exact same way.

I have heard the theory that when they push with their tummies they tend to squeeze their anus shut as well and this causes the incredibly frustrating straining… and makes sense to me…..

So what makes his gas stink so bad and is there a way to fix it?? Or when will he start getting more regular poops again. WHAT CAN I DO to help him. He gets so unhappy!

Mell

Default Re: Stinky gas and no poop!!!!!

It's kind of ironic that breastfed baby poops aren't all that stinky but many breastfed babies have horrendously smelly gas, isn't it? LOL I honestly do not have an answer for you as to why some stink so badly.

As you mentioned, it's not uncommon for a breastfed baby to go for very long periods of time between bowel movements. Some babies will continue this pattern for long periods of time (as was the case with my 2nd baby -- he'd poop every 10-12 days until he was 11 months old and started solids). Other babies are less predictable.

You might be able to help ease the discomfort in baby by gently massaging his little tummy and "bicycling" or pushing his knees/legs up towards his chin while he's lying on his back to help him work the gas out. Sometimes a warm bath will help as well.

I'm sure other's will be along shortly to share their experiences with gassy babies.

Unhappy Re: Stinky gas and no poop!!!!!

The funny part of it is he isn't having much trouble passing gas. He does it all day and only occasionally screams when that is going on....

He is now officially very miserable. And is passing gas easily. Just not poop.

Mell

Mell,
    If he's exclusively breastfed then it would be unheard of for him to be constipated. Perhaps there's something else bothering him?

Red face Re: Stinky gas and no poop!!!!!

It jsut finally came out... and yup not consitpation.. but why is he soooo unhappy the day or two before he finally goes? And is there anyway to make him stink less? The poop was stinky!

Mell

My dd had this from about 2 months to 4 months. We gave her Mylacon as needed and an herb tonic may for kids called Minty Ginger, it has ginger root, camamile, and peppermint in it. When I heard about Minty Ginger the only place I could find it was Whole Foods. Both of those helped. She got over it by 4 months and has been fine ever since. (7mths old now)

Good luck, Sara

My newest baby has this same issue. None of my other babies have ever had stinky gas, they also all had bm after almost every nursing session. Every babay has their own little digestive system~funny how it can be so different in the same family.

Mell, you could try changing your diet. But otherwise I don't know of any other specific ways to make him less stinky. Good luck to you!

My dd has had this problem too since 2 months old. She is now 3 months and still passes a lot of gas. It seems like it is worse when she bf rather than bottlefeeds. But I notice they smell bad when I eat certain foods. Like a few days ago I had a burrito with refried beans in it (it was supposed to have no beans on it ). And she had the most horrible gas for two days. Every time she would wake up at night she would pass gas and fall right back asleep. And sometimes she appeared uncomfortable. The same thing happens when I eat spicy food. She always has gas, but it's especially bad when I eat certain things.

Oh...and my dd's bms slowed down once she hit 8 weeks old too. Lately I've noticed that when I drink apple juice, she goes more. One day she went 3 times! And she went again the next day. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I think I'm going to keep doing that to see if it helps. Maybe it's the fiber in the apple.