Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation

Default Relactation

When my son was born I had a lot of blood loss and was very weak and passing out so I was not able to hold or nurse him for over 4 hours. I tried to nurse him for about 3 weeks but he was not latching on right and he was never satisfied with the amount he was getting. My nipples were cracked and bleeding and I had PPD and a screaming baby who wanted to eat all the time because he was never getting full. Then we both got thrush.

I bought a Medela Pump in Style Advance. I continued to try to nurse and give him expressed milk from a bottle. My milk supply was slowly decreasing and his appetite was increasing. At 2 months old he was eating 42 ounces a day. I was able to pump 24-30 ounces a day. I started supplementing with formula. My supply kept decreasing and by the time he was 3 months I was only able to pump 6-8 ounces a day, so I quit trying. After about a week my milk dried up.

So, that is the background story.

I really want to nurse again. I have been struggling with feeling like a failure because I'm not nursing. Winter is coming and I would really like for him to get the immune boosting benefits from breastmilk. My husband lost his 2nd job (he was working 2 just to get by) but we still make just a few dollars too much to get WIC. Formula is really expensive.

Is there any way I can still breastfeed my son? He is now 4 1/2 months old. He is eating a little bit of solids and drinking 36 ounces of formula a day. He weighs 19 pounds and is 26 inches long, so he is a big boy. He is also VERY stubborn (he gets that from me LOL!)

Default Re: Relactation

I read that already. It didn't really help.

Hi Emilyanne, Im researching this topic for a woman in my Breastfeeding group who is wanting to relactate after 3 1/2 months. I will just pop all the links up as I find them if I think they may help you. I haven't had a chance to read the all the info yet, just skimming it, but hope it will help. I am not a lactation consultant and you should really have a professional person guide you through this as it can be quite challenging (though certainly not impossible) after 4 months. I will just post this up so you have rough idea of what you are getting yourself into. However you have BF before so its not like you are starting from scratch
    Do you have the support of your ped or family doctor? Relactation can be very demanding and everything that I am reading suggests that you really need the support of your family and partner if you are to succeed.
    I think it amazing that you are persevering after such a difficult time. Most other woman would have given up, so

If you dont have time to read all the info here is a VERY quick overview of a few things you can do until you can get more advice.
    Skin to skin is crucial. Spend as much time as possible with your baby against you. Is a 'nurse-in' possible? Even if the very worst happens and your milk doesnt come in, the benefits of bonding are very real, for you and baby.
    Let the baby suckle at the breast whenever he wants. Even one drop is gold. However dont force it. Let your bubby lead.
    Hold your baby in the cradle position every time you bottlefeed, as if you are breastfeeding.
    Encourage the baby to search for the teat of the bottle the same way as you would a newborn, tickling the chin to encourage him to open wide before putting the nipple in, rather than pushing it in.
    A supplementing system will do two jobs, feeding your baby and stimulaing your breasts.
    In order to trigger the milk production the WHO doc recommends pumping 8-12 times over a 24 hour period.

Most of the information above is detailed in this
    WHO Document aimed at health professionals,
    http://www.ennonline.net/pool/files/...n-document.pdf

Support Group, I havent joined so dont know if there is much good info, but talking to other woman sharing your experience will be invaluable...
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1ABSupportGroup/

Four Friends support the biological mother requiring support for inducing lactation after an unforeseen break.
    http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/
    My bubby's stirring so must go. Please seek out you local LLL leader of lactation consultant . x
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

That fact that you pumped so much in the beginning is a good sign that your body can produce a lot. I would get the SNS and feed him at the breast to try and get your supply going again. Pump after each feed, take fenugreek and blessed thistle and see how it goes. I think there is hope! Let us know how it goes.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

WOW! I came to this site looking to ask this exact question! I am so glad to see that it is possible. With all the studies of melamine coming out in formula I have begun to feel very guilty about weaning my daughter at 6 months of age. It has been almost 2 months without BF but up until about 2 weeks ago I could still express a little bit if I tried. I didn't really want to wean but my milk supply was decreasing because I wasn't comfortable BF while out in public so I was giving her formula. But now I want it back so BAD! I am going to do everything possible. I will go buy fenugreek tomorrow. That one article that the person above me posted was so helpful I am completely grateful. I now feel confident in my ability to do this. THANK YOU!

Yes the Melamine situation is horrible. A news article came out that Nestle, Similac (Abbott), and Mead Johnson formulas have traces of melamine. Only about one drop per 64 quart, but still yet, that is unacceptable! I cannot even believe any manufacturer would allow that even though the FDA says it is okay! That is insane! We are supplementing with Baby's Only Organic. That formula would be the best out there if it were not for the high manganese levels which have been linked to ADHD in children who had high levels in the first 6 mo. of life! After 6 mo., the liver can execrete this better. I have written the company urging them to lower the manganese level to more like breastmilk which is 1 mcg per 5 oz. of bm compared to 21 mcg per 5 oz. in the formula. It is such a hard issue. I hope to eventually get my little on off of the SNS and more of me.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.