Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: above the law?

Default above the law?

I work in North Dakota where a pumping in the work place law has not yet been passed. Unfortunately, this law won't apply to me when passed as I work in a school/child care setting that employs less than 40 people. My issue is that my employers only want me to pump on my 25 minute lunch break. I told them that this won't work, as I need to pump at least twice a day to keep up with my lo which I leave my classroom to do. (My assistant manages the classroom while I am out) This worked okay for the first month and a half but now my daughter is needing more than I'm able to produce in the two 15 minute breaks I can sneak away. I am reluctant to pump on my lunch break as this is my only time to eat and I am double pumping which doesn't leave hands very free but I will have to start soon. I try to pump at home but with an infant and a 3 year old and husband who works nights, this is a hard goal to achieve. Has anyone else had uncooperative employers and/or any suggestions?

Default Re: above the law?

I feel bad for you and I don't think any employer should be exempt but...get a hand free pumping kit and you will still be able to eat.

Hands free pumping kit could be (I am sure someone else will post the links but I am almost out of time):
    Expensive (but so worth it to me) bustier or bra made for this very purpose
    Old sports bra with holes cut in
    the elastic hair tie method
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Is it possible for you to pump right before and right after class, in addition to the two times during the day that you pump? Are you concerned about about supply, too, or is it just the number of times during the day that you are able to pump?

Have you tried going hands-free while you pump so you can get in a session while you eat? The cheapest way to do this is to get a couple of elastic hairbands and follow the directions here.

I also have to ask, since I am in the great state of ND, too, where are you in ND?
    Robin

Also, if you go handsfree (the Medela Freestyle, $285 at bestbuybaby.com, is SO worth it!!! - best $ I ever spent) you can pump in the car on your way to pick up your LO. That's how I keep up with DS.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

It seems I need to be getting me some sort of hands free type deal. You had some good suggestions for something a bit nontraditional and less expensive. I will have to some experimenting to see what works to make it a hands free operation. I'm not sure about timing but I have a 40 minute commute so if I manage hands free I could possibly pump on the drive. As long as I don't get pulled over. That could be a bit embarrassing and hard to explain. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

p.s.
    BakerSmurf, I live in Minnesota but I work in Fargo.

Awesome! I am in Grand Forks!
    Robin

I am also a teacher, and I'm in almost an identical situation. My son is 5 months old and my planning has been 3rd block, lunchtime, which has been fine, but next semester I have planning first thing in the morning, a truly uselss time to pump since I feed him right before I leave home. So I'm facing the eat or pump dilemma also. And with no advocates for breastfeeding whatsoever at our school.

Good luck to you!