Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning from pump

Default weaning from pump

My daughter just turned 1 yr old and I have been slowly weaning off the pump for several months now. I am down to 2 pumping sessions, 1x in am, and 1x in pm, and every so often if she wakes at night (usually only when sick or teething). I intend to get rid of the am pump next, but really don't want to give up the "just before bed" nursing. Because of this, I've continued to pump for a few minutes each evening after nursing her as a part of our night routine. Here's my question-has anyone been able to completely wean off the pump alltogether, and still maintain enough milk at night for that last nursing before bed? She doesn't drink much at that time, but it's the bonding that I'm having trouble giving up. Weaning has been a difficult thing for me emotionally, so I've taken it slow. Yet, I know I am approaching the right time to transition off the pump altogether. My heart is sad to give this evening feed up, so I hesitate to quit pumping at night if my supply will dry up completely. Any thoughts?!

Default Re: weaning from pump

Yes! That's def. possible, I am slowly pump weaning to be there as well. I'm wondering if your supply is highest in the am though? Many woman say this is the case, so if you pumped in the AM and then nursed before bed would it work better and be more comfortable?

Also maybe I'm confused but why do you pump after nursing?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you so much for responding. The reason I've kept pumping at night after the nursing session is because sometimes she nurses for only a few minutes and I have concerns that if I don't pump out the rest of the milk, I may lose that supply altogether. Does this make sense or should I be able to drop that pump regardless and simply depend on her short nursing session? Since I haven't known, I've been conservative and pumped anyway.
    Believe it or not, I have more milk at the pm pumping session, not the am session. I think this is because I've been pumping at night after the feed and then only 8 hours later, verse the 12 hour stretch throughout the day until I feed/pump at night.
    Any more feedback is so appreciated!

I've completely pump weaned and nurse DD only at night. Sometimes it's bedtime and then 1-2x's at night/early a.m. On the weekend she sometimes nurses for a nap, sometimes not (like today she hasn't nursed since 3am). I have had no problem with my supply...that I can tell...she seems content with what she gets.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

That is very encouraging to hear! I am going to try and drop both pumping sessions by the end of this week, depending on how it goes. I am planning to go to visit some family with my lo for a short weekend this coming weekend and have to fly, so if I can leave my pump behind I would like to!
    Happily for 13 months and still going strong!