Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning and whole milk?

Default Weaning and whole milk?

I've weaned my 13 month old DD to only two nursing sessions (night and morning) and give her whole milk during the day. She drinks whole milk, but not very much. I don't mind that she's not drinking much, but I'm not sure how much she needs to drink.

Everything I've read says 16-24 oz, I have no idea how much she's getting from the two nursing sessions. I offer whole milk two times a day in a sippy cup. She usually drinks about 2 ozs, but every now and then 3-4.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Default Re: Weaning and whole milk?

I have found that my daughter drinks very little whole milk as well in terms of ounces, about as much as yours. I have not worried so much about counting ounces for her since she has never taken in the "typical" amount of milk/food that is required and she has grown very nicely just the same. We are intentional about offering her plenty of water in between her milk bottles, which she seems to drink a lot of. Also, for what it's worth, you may try and vary the temp of her milk as you feed it to her. My lo didn't like it straight from the fridge right away and needed it warmed a little. Now she doesn't seem to mind the cold as much. You may have already considered this, but just in case it's helpful.
    Good job on nursing/pumping for this long!

Just another thought-

Babies don't need to goto breastmilk to cow's milk. There are so many other foods for them to eat. As long as they get calcium through cheese, yogurts, and dairy foods they don't need to drink CM at all.

I think offering her milk 2 times a day is plenty.

We're down to nursing 2-3 times a day as well and I don't offer CM at all. Just water and on occasion juice.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Hi! My DD will be 14 months at the end of this month, and she is almost completely weaned now. When I was down to just the morning and night feedings, she also didn't have much interest in cow's milk.
    As we've phased out the feedings, she has started drinking more and more whole milk. Like PP said, we warm up the whole milk in a saucepan so that it's warm and give it to her in a cup.
    She usually drinks between 12 and 18 ounces a day now, but when I was still nursing twice a day she drank only about 3-6 ounces.
    Like the other PP said, we don't worry too much b/c she's a great eater of dairy - she eats yogurt, cheese, and ice cream (as a treat) just fine, which gets her plenty of calcium.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010