Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at college???

Default Pumping at college???

this is more geared towards those in school rather than work, but i have a pumping question.

I dont know my school schedule yet but i will start college in jan and i will go Full time. Each class lasts around 45mins. We will live on campus and the apartments are on the other side of campus. To walk from one end of campus to the other takes about 30mins. IF i need to pump (and i have a feeling i will), any suggestions where will i pump? Usually youll have 3 classes right after another with about 30 min between.

I asked my advisor and she didnt have a suggestion. My MIL is a teacher at the college im going to and she pumps in her office, but im not walkin to her office everyday- id feel weird.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Default Re: Pumping at college???

at the university that I went to there was a "women's resource center" that was located in the student center (that's where all the society offices were, as well as the student union, post office, food court, etc). The women's resource center had a separate office (pretty tiny, but it served the purpose) for one-on-one peer counselling, as well as breastfeeding mothers and mothers who pumped. Perhaps the college you will be attending has something like that. Also, there was a resource center for students older than average, as well as student parents which offered office space for breastfeeding/pumping as well as peer support.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

It depends on your embarrassment level, but if it were me I'd use my Medela Freestyle, hook it on in the bathroom (or in a lounge under a blanket), pull down my shirt, pump in a lounge (it's pretty quiet), and then unhook it either under a blanket or in the washroom. But I'm pretty bold. If you don't have a pump yet, I highly recommend the Freestyle, because you can pump while walking around, (or sweeping, typing, cooking, etc). You can get it at bestbuybaby.com for $285pp; it was the best $285 I ever spent because I'm not tied to an outlet or a chair! If you have it, you could even find a small private room. Is there a music section to the college? If so, I've found that practice rooms can be nice private (& soundproof) places to pump.

Good luck!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

i dont have the freestyle. I have a PIS. I would be bold and sit right down and pump, lol.MILhas a FS and says its great. She pumps though in her office at the college im going to (shes a teacher though). Too bad i cant use my Fafsa to buy a pump, lol. (i wouldnt, college is PRICEY!)

they have a wellness center with 2 campus clinics (eastside and westside) so i guess ill call and see what they each suggest. Im in the colleges Lifelong Learning program and havent been given an advisor there yet (i just have a basic college advisor right now) so maybe when i get one, they can help too.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

at my school a lot of the restrooms have chairs or couches.. maybe you could do it there... or have a special place in every building.. like talk to someone in each building to see where a private room is so you could pump.. maybe talk to the dean of that department and use a classroom that is not in use at that time. that way you dont have to walk everywhere.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.