Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maybe I'll get more of a response here...

Default Maybe I'll get more of a response here...

I thought I was finally done, but....
    So I had gradually been decreasing the frequency and duration of pumping until finally a few days after DD;s first birthday(I EPed) I was completely done (so I thought). I went 2 1/2 days w/o pumping and my left breast had been sore. I decided I should pump to relieve the pressure and pumped about 4 oz out of it in 5 min. What can I do to dry up w/o risking an infection or clogged duct? I thought I did everything right and then this happened...please help!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Default Re: Maybe I'll get more of a response here...

I think what you want to do is only pump when you are feeling uncomfortable and then only pump to relieve the engorgement. As long as you aren't allowing yourself to become painfully engorged, than I wouldn't worry too much that you'll get an infection, unless of course you are prone to infections. I think you are doing everything right, it just may take more time than you thought. GL!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

It broke my heart but when I did pump (sometimes every 2-5 days) I made sure I pumped only a min or two. You dont want to pump untill you are empty. Maybe try hand expression in the shower to relieve it alittle and so you dont get what feels like hard lumps. It took me a month to soften up. And I never leaked while nursing and sometimes after a shower I sae a few drops on my belly. How is she doing?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Everything is going great.....SHe is fully on cow milk now and it is agreeing with her. I guess I did think it was going to dry up a lot faster than it is. I knew I was only supposed to pump for a min or two but it was so hard not to just keep pumping. I felt bad about not emptying KWIM? I guess I'll just have to do as you suggested and pump every so often if it gets really uncomfortable, and no I'm not prone to infections (thankfully). Do cabbage leaves really work?
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Try cabbage leaves on the breasts. Many women have MUCH success with Cabbage leaves

Way too lazy for formula

If you keep pumping until your empty you are still telling your body to make that much milk, so I agree with pp about pumping less time. The key is to not become uncomfortable or cause an infection. Drying up completely is tricky. After I stopped nursing my last one (now 8) I had milk for 2 years. Not a lot but still could express by hand a small amount. Not stimulating the breast helps it stop faster, but that requires all stimulation to be stopped. Hubby might be sad.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

I had the same problem when I first started weaning (I'm now down to 1-2 pumps a day in am and pm), and I just slowed down the process a bit. One thing that was helpful was stretching the pump sessions out just a little bit longer in between and then, as others have already suggested, not pumping all the milk out. I know what it's like to feel bad about not pumping it all out, but over time when your breasts start going back to a normal size, it can be somewhat rewarding to gain a small part of "normal" back. Our bodies are amazing!
    Also, I tried cabbage leaves when I was first engorged when my milk came in the first week after having my lo. It was hard to say if they helped a lot or not. I don't particularly recall a lot of relief, but for some reason I remember them drawing out some heat as my breasts swelled. If I had to do it over, I would probably pump a little more in addition to the cabbage leaves for relief. Hope this was helpful!