Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to pump more hindmilk?

Default How to pump more hindmilk?

I had milk supply issues and was giving my DS formula for the first week of life. I recently switched to pumping and bottlefeeding, but noticed that his stools are green instead of the yellow, seedy stools he had with formula. He's also much fussier. I was wondering if he was experiencing foremilk-hindmilk imbalance?

I pump both breasts for about 10-15 minutes every 3 hours and can get about 3 oz total. Is there a way to increase the amount of hindmilk pumped? I only see a very thin layer of fat in the bags that I have stored.

Default Re: How to pump more hindmilk?

He would more likely have greener stools with formula, and yellow and seedy is more a BM stool. How long ago did you switch? Maybe it is just the last of the formula getting out of his system?

The layer of fat in my milk really varies. How long are you pumping? Generally I pump for a few minutes past the last time I see drops coming out. That way I have made sure I have tries to get most of the hindmilk as well.

HTH mama. GL!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: How to pump more hindmilk?

One other thing - the fat content of milk varies throughout the day - nighttime & early morning has the most, and afternoon has the least, so it could depend on when you're pumping. I always had the best luck pumping either right before DS woke (if I wasn't out like a light) or about 45-60 minutes after his first feeding of the day.
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; October 25th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png