Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD throwing up all day...could it be due to formula or soy milk?

Default DD throwing up all day...could it be due to formula or soy milk?

I had to break down and give DD a bottle of formula yesterday, because I had zero breastmilk pumped, and she doesn't seem to care for whole milk yet. I've been giving her a little soy milk each day...some days she drinks just a few sips, sometimes she drinks almost a cup of the soy milk. Anyways, I had to give her a bottle of formula yesterday, Enfamil Next Step Lipil. She woke up this morning spitting up. She hasn't spit up in MONTHS. Then, the spit up turned into vomiting. She's vomited all day today, not long after being nursed each time. I don't recall having eaten anything that would have affected her this way. And she hasn't either. The only thing that she's been drinking lately that's different than breastmilk is the soy milk. She's been seeming to do fine with it since I've started giving it to her this week. She didn't start throwing up until this morning, and she just had the one bottle of formula yesterday.

She has no fever, she's been playing like normal, though she has been clingier than usual today, I'm assuming because she has the upset tummy. Other than that, she seems fine.

Could it be a stomach bug or is it more likely the sounds of a reaction to the soy milk or formula?

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: DD throwing up all day...could it be due to formula or soy milk?

Some people have allergies to soy. I know that it gives me TERRIBLE heartburn. It is difficult to say if the formula bothered her that much, but I am sure it is likely. I think it might just be a waiting game. If she is still sick tomorrow, I would think it is a bug. So sorry Mama. Hope she is feeling better quick!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Your LO could have a milk protein intolerance and be throwing up because of the cow's milk based formula. I would especially suspect this if she's been ok with the soy for over a week and only vomited after having the formula. That may also explain why she doesn't care for whole milk yet. Kids have a sixth sense about those things it seems... Maybe try soy formula if you have to give her anything else again. Good luck! If she continues to be sick though, I would suspect a virus as pp mentioned!
    AnneMarie
    Mom to Liana Hope
    Born 12/25/06 at 31 weeks, weighing only 2 pounds!
    Now she weighs 26 pounds
    and is the best!
    Food allergies are the pits

Thank you for the responses, mamas!

As it turned out, DD was just battling a tummy problem. We had to take her to the doctor on Saturday morning, because the vomiting hadn't lessened, and the doctor was worried because DD had only one wet diaper all day Friday. They took a urine test, which came out normal. She said that DD may have just been in the early stages of a tummy bug, and hadn't been hit with a fever and/or diarrhea yet. Which is exactly what happened. The vomiting stopped last night and diarrhea came on. It's almost gone now, and she's just as ornery as ever!

One thing I do want to say is that I need to trust my LLL teachings more. The doctor had suggested that I give her Pedialyte with a syringe (because DD won't drink it) and that I pump small amounts for her to drink from a bottle, so that DD wouldn't take in too much and make herself sick. Problem was, DD wouldn't touch her sippy cup, a bottle, or even a regular cup. I was frustrated with having to stop her abruptly from nursing, and it was making DD even worse. So, I got out my handy Womanly Art book, and looked it up. Just as I remembered (and I should have remembered already, seeing that I'm a leader applicant!), I should have just trusted my instincts and continued nursing on-demand. As soon as DD woke up from her nap, I sat down on the sofa and nursed her for as long as she wanted. When she was finished, she played, ran around, laughed, ate solid foods, etc...and never got sick!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

I'm so glad that your DD is feeling better. We went through one stomach bug a few months ago and nursing certainly is interesting when they're still in the vomiting stages. My DS barfed on my boobs, then wanted to nurse immediately after. But for days he would take a few sips, then pause, probably trying to see if he was going to vomit again.

I do remember the diahrrea lasting for a very long time, almost 7 days once the vomiting stopped. BM is fine though for stomach sickness, it's considered a clear fluid.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I don't want to scare you, but you may want to have an allergy test done just to be safe. When my LO was almost 12-months we gave him whole cow's milk. He then threw up and went into anaphylactic shock. I wish that I would have known before giving it to him. Her symptoms may have just been a stomach bug, but you may want to have her tested anyway.
    Molly, mom to Preston Feb. 17, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    I do remember the diahrrea lasting for a very long time, almost 7 days once the vomiting stopped. BM is fine though for stomach sickness, it's considered a clear fluid.
    That sounds like he had rotovirus, Lisa. That's a nasty one for sure.