Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blocked duct after all this time?

Default Blocked duct after all this time?

Anyone else still get blocked ducts even now that your LOs over a year old? I have a painful (like a bruise) hard/lumpy area right where my left breast meets with my arm pit. I've gotten blocks there before. But, it is baffling me why I have one all of a sudden. DDs nursing pattern hasn't changed at all (no missed or delayed feeds), I haven't worn an underwire since she was born, my breasts don't feel even close to be full, I nursed on that side at least once during the night. And of course I pump weaned a while ago so I have to wait until I get home from work to offer that side to DD and see if I can't nurse it out.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Blocked duct after all this time?

I had many, many plugged ducts after a year (but I also had a sporatic nursling). Quite annoying--hope yours gets better soon.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I got my first plugged duct when DD was 18 months old. Be very vigilant--I got mastitis with my second plugged duct at 20 months old.

I still get one now and then -- and last one was last week while I was away at a conference (pumping). I usually end up with (mild) mastitis, but fortunately not this time. Usually I cannot figure out why I got one, and they usually occur with a bleb that I have to puncture, but at least they're not frequent. They are, nevertheless, more common since the twins' first year, rather than during it.

Thankfully it went away after DD nursed on that side that night. It was still slightly tender the next morning but fine today. Thankfully it doesn't happen often and I don't get mastitis. I just find it odd that it happens at random times and for no known reason. Since DD is only nursing about 3x a day now my breasts are soooo deflated otherwise so surprises me when my saggy, baggy boobies get a hard painful knot in them!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09