Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready to switch to formula!! Please help us!

Default Re: Ready to switch to formula!! Please help us!

I am sorry to say that even if you switch to formula you may not get anymore sleep. Some babies just do not sleep as much as others. My 15 month old is still up several times a night...

Well, I am prepared for that.

I tried ds with a bit more today and he pulled a face and started getting angry at me. Then he spit up about 10 times today and he doesnt usually do that so I think the formula is prob disagreeing with him. I guess he has to get used to other things though.

I just hate the whole idea of expressing, I already feel like a milk vendor!

If you really want to suplement, I strongly suggest that you shop around for a formula that agrees with him. This formula is obviously not going to make a happy baby if he's just spitting it all up.

like i said before, i really suggest alimentum or nutrimagen. these are the most gentle, easy to digest formulas you can get without a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulfreak
    What kind of signals did he give?? My ds does arch his back a lot and never seems relaxed apart from at night for a couple of hours then he tends to move around an awful lot when he is asleep.
    That's what mine did. I had been told that babies in pain cried all the time, so I had NO idea that the arching of the back and the squirmies meant he was painful. He cried a lot, but there were plenty of times he seemed on edge and I didn't know it was because he was uncomfortable. Poor baby.

Edited to add -- I also know a whole lot of women who began supplementing in the first few weeks, for various reasons (the biggest one usually seems because they think it will help the baby sleep better), and most lose their supply or wean <6 months.

Regarding getting more and better sleep -- what about taking the baby into bed with you? I got NO sleep with my fussy baby until I started doing that, and suddenly he would sleep for more than an hour! I slept with the baby in one bed, and DH stayed in another until we got side-laying nursing down, and then we all slept in one bed.
    Last edited by IansMommy; August 16th, 2006 at 06:03 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!