Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to switch to formula!! Please help us!

Default Ready to switch to formula!! Please help us!

Hi there

My ds is 4 months old now and has been an amazing nurser until a couple of weeks ago. He was going 4 - 5 hours at night between feeds and during the day just 2 hours. Now he wants to feed every 2 hours day and night and also, when he is on the breast he is fine for about 5 mins and then starts wriggling, turning his head downwards, kicking anything in sight and pushing himself off the breast and bringing his little arm down hard on my chest. I try and hold him securely but he is so strong. It really frustrates me so I take him off and then he screams for more milk. Why would he wriggle so much? I have quite fast let down so could it be because the later in the feed the slower my milk comes out??

Also, the last 2 weeks he has started really screaming sometimes only shortly after feeding and the only way I can console him is to feed him. He then proceeds to pass wind. He seems to suffer real bad with trapped wind as he doesnt burp well after feeds. He has been quite colicky even though he never suffered before 3 months old (thought colick only lasted until 3 months??!!)

Am I making the situation worse by the constant feeding? Am I not giving his poor tummy a break?? I know it is supposed to be feed on demand but I am so tired I need some kind of normality back in my life. I hate expressing because it makes me feel like a milk machine so I only ever get 1 to 2 hours break. Dh takes him in the morning but then has to give him back to me to feed.

I relented tonight and bought a ready made carton of Aptamil as my hv said this is quite good for supplementing with bm. OK, well, my dh tried to give it to him in a bottle, which he HATED! So we tried from a spoon which he seemed to love. About half hour later he brought the whole feed back up and it was thick clear mucous mixed with a bit of milk. I had given ds a short bf just before to settle him ready for the formula. He had about five 10ml spoons of formula.

Could this be an allergy to the formula (Aptamil). He also went really manic after this and kept kicking his legs as though cycling.

Just lately I have also noticed he has started jerking/jumping again while trying to get to sleep (like the startle reflex he used to wake himself up with for the first cpl of weeks). Is this normal around this age??

I keep feeling really down about the whole formula thing because I don't want to hurt his little tummy or ruin the goodness of my breast milk.

Surely it is ok just to give one feed with formula to let me get a break. Also, should I try another type so as not to produce mucousy spit up?? Or is it normal after the first time they have formula??

Please help!!!

Thanks

Default Re: Ready to switch to formula!! Please help us!

ive never heard of aptamil.
    The symptoms you are describing to me sound like my son...he has severe acid reflux. He needs medication because his throat burns all the time and used to cry during and after feeds. he would also wiggle and squirm, choke, gag, and when i would take him off he would scram for more, but couldnt eat because his esophogus was being damaged by the acid.
    i think you should mention these problems to the pediatrician. if it is reflux and it goes untreated there are serious complications.
    The constant feeding is what alot of babies do when they are in pain from the reflux, its called comfort feeding.
    anyways, i think you should go to the doc with him just to be safe.

also, the mucous to me sounds like MSPI. you may need to try a hypoallergenic formula like alimentum or nutrimagen. many babies with reflux also have MSPI.

The jerking thing is related to reflux too, there is something called sandifiers syndrome. this is something that babies develop as they are in pain from the reflux and their body is trying to comfort itself into a position that will stop the acid from hurting.
    Last edited by nataliachick7; August 13th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

Im almost certain its not reflux as I have read a lot about it and my ds doesnt cry during feeds, just fidgets a lot. Also, he rarely spits up and isn't spitting up a major thing of GER??

Also, he never chokes or gags apart from when he shoves his hand in his mouth to chew on!! Although he does sometimes cough (like a dry cough though). I think the jerking/jumping may be due to wind as he does suffer with trapped wind as he doesnt bring it up well when I burp him.

Thanks for the info though. i have discussed the matter with my GP and he thinks that if it was GER my ds would be in a lot more pain.

just to let you know..my son doesnt spit up, he has silent reflux, which is actually more harmful to the esophogus.

was your son in pain a lot?

Mine didn't spit up either.

He would be very fussy and agitated, squirmy and arching his back. He didn't seem painful then, but looking back, having learned what pain signals babies give (which aren't always what we expect) he probably was.

Our first ped said the same thing .. . if he had GERD, he would be in more pain. Well, once I found a doctor willing to listen and put him on the meds, things improved a lot.

Good luck!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What kind of signals did he give?? My ds does arch his back a lot and never seems relaxed apart from at night for a couple of hours then he tends to move around an awful lot when he is asleep.

The only thing you can really do to encourage baby to nurse less frequently is do breast compressions so that he's getting more milk especally the fatty hindmilk at a feeding. Really, eating every 2 hours is completely normal and healthy, especally at such a young age. If you were to switch to formula full time, he might still want to eat just as often and then you'd have to make a bottle each time and warm it up and all. Just too much work and so not worth it imo.

By the way, that does NOT sound like a normal reaction to trying fomrula for the first time. It sounds like it could be an alergic reaction, so I would say definately don't use that particular formula again.

Giving the occasional bottle of fomrula does not ruin the goodness of breastmilk at all! Who told you that? Any and all breastmilk is good breastmilk, regardless of what else baby is eating or drinking.

Trust me, I do know what you're going through with never seeming to have a break. Ds nursed every hour during the day until he was 5 mo. I got used to it, and when he finally started going 2 hours that seemed like such a long time! lol

FYI: Although giving formula does not "ruin breastmilk," to my knowledge, it can cause other problems. Especially when mom's milk supply is getting established, in the first few weeks and even couple of months, adding in formula may decrease her milk supply (because she isn't getting the nipple stimulation necessary to produce). This is not a definite, but it is something to be aware of. One of my good friends started supplementing at 7 weeks, giving formula during the day and BFing at night and in the morning. Within a few days she had "dried up" and switched to formula completely. I could tell how sad she was when she talked about her LO trying to suck and getting nothing, and how her LO has had several ear/sinus infections and other health problems in her first year.
    In fact, I've had several friends who've "lost" their milk supply when they started supplementing.
    There can also be problems, specifically "nipple preference" with introducing a bottle early on, but I don't think it makes a difference if there is BM or formula in the bottle as far as that goes.
    Just something to be aware of, so you don't have to learn the hard way. Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks all for your input. I know these things come in phases and that we will get through it, I just need more Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeep!!

Take care guys xx
    Last edited by beautifulfreak; August 15th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.