Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thought I was done, but.....

Default Thought I was done, but.....

So I had gradually been decreasing the frequency and duration of pumping until finally a few days after DD;s first birthday I was complete done (so I thought). I went 2 1/2 days w/o pumping and my left breast had been sore. I decided I should pump to relieve the pressure and pumped about 4 oz out of it in 5 min. What can I do to dry up w/o risking an infection or clogged duct? I thought I did everything right and then this happened...please help!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Default Re: Thought I was done, but.....

After I "pump weaned" with DD1, I would still bring my pump to work with me in case I happened to become uncomfortable. Usually this would happen on a Monday after being with DD1 all weekend and nursing more often. I also take lecithin supplements to help prevent clogged ducts.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I did the same thing as Molly with the exception of the Lecithin....learned something new today!

It was always on Mondays when it was needed or if he nursed a lot through the night but even that was usually bearable.

How much time has elapsed since you started to pump wean?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I don't have that problem b/c I EPed. I gradually cut down the frequency and duration. I completely stopped last Wed. morning, pumped 5 min on Fri b/c I was super sore and haven't pumped since. I think I'm ok now!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Have you tried ice packs or the cabbage thing?

I just read that binding is not recommended anymore, but I felt less sore when my breasts were tightly supported with a sports bra about 1 size too small. It took about a week to soften up.

Weaning is never any fun regardless if you EP or EBF. I hope all goes well.